Begginer coral?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Moliva18, Jan 18, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Moliva18

Moliva18 Plankton

Hello so I'm new to saltwater and this is my first tank. I got the JBJ 45 gallon rimless. I've never tried a reef system befor but might as well. What are some good corals that won't kill each other, how many should I get, and are they compatible with the candy cane coral cause I like those? Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome.

I just set up the JBJ 45 RL in November. I had the 20 and 30 RL as well, all great tanks.

I would try a Toadstool/aka Leather (Sarcophyton). Easy LPS such as a Duncan, or any of the Euphyllias.

Non invasive Zoanthids would also be a good choice. I would avoid most Palys though.

Great place to window shop and learn names and the husbandry aspects of corals.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=597

For the first 6 months I would avoid sps and anemones, as well as Mandarin fish.

4. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

Toadstool leathers are very hardy and I personally love the look of them.

Hammers and frogspawn are great. Torch corals are beautiful but have long sweepers that can sting nearby corals.

Zoanthids are beautiful and pretty easy to keep.

Mushrooms are good too but some species need to be kept seperate.

I too love to refer to liveaquaria when questioning coral needs and compatibility.

5. Moliva18

Moliva18 Plankton

How far apart should u keep corals