Before I touch this, let me check

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by JCerillo70, Jan 8, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JCerillo70

JCerillo70 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

i ordered a 1" schedule 40 which ill use & a 3/4 inch Schedule 80 just incase from marine depot. And a mag-drive 7 pump for the return to the 90 gallon display.

The old bulkhead is a schedule 40 with a 1" pipe threaded connector in it, so that confirms the size as 1" bulkhead to me.

2. Click Here!

3. JCerillo70

As far as power heads, eventually i want the apex to run everything. For now i dont want to spend alot until i have corals and stuff going in a few months.

Whats the way to go for the 90 gallon?

For now i think this is the way to go

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquar...M3ipiU9tITmvNh7tRntEB8tB4DAvY66Q7nxoCti7w_wcB

Im going to have mostly soft corals and fish for now but eventually hard corals once evrything is good to go for a while

4. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Sch 80 is overkill unless it is in an area wher it may be stressed such as in back where plumbing may be hanging horizontally from it putting stress on the bulkhead.

5. JCerillo70

Alright so I'm all good then. I'll use the 1" 40 double threaded like u said.

Thanks for your help brother

6. JCerillo70

I picked up some 6% acid cleaning vinegar. Regular vinegar is 5% so this should do the trick, just double checking to make sure it's not to strong for the silicone

7. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

The extra 1% won't make much difference. May clean a little faster is all. The only thing I caution everyone on when using vinegar or diluted acids is don't leave rubber parts like O rings, gaskets and powerhead shaft rubber cups and impeller bump stops in the acid for longer than a couple hours or it starts to attack the rubber. A hour or so usually cleans them up and you can stick your hand in and remove them.

8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Koralis are decent power heads. Many people use or have used them including myself. I did find that they had a tendency to have difficulty starting if you shut them off after they have been in the tank some time. Mainly due to algae/calcium deposits. However, even after cleaning, they always seemed to have issues which required me to "jump start" them by using a small wood dowel to push the impeller until it started. I have not used the wave maker with them, but due to my experience with them have issues starting and stopping, I'm not sure how well it would work.

I know you don't want to spend a ton of money now, but I always offer the following advice. Buy the best equipment you can now, or you will end up spending more in the long run. Basic equipment can be fine, but if you know you are going to want something nicer, save up to get that, otherwise you will buy it all which will cost you more than if you simply went with what you really wanted from the first place. I upgraded my Koralias to an MP40, sold that when I took my first tank down, now bought another one. It's a great powerhead/wavemaker, can be a little noisy, but worth the money IMO, especially because they just lowered the price by $100. There are other power heads out there too that are less expensive, so make sure to take a look around before you buy something.

10. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I agree with what GuitarMan said (had no idea you were this close to me). I have also had Koralias and they worked fine but they make a very loud click when put on a wave maker. Also, many people have had issues with them running backwards when being restarted, which can also be an issue if they are on a wave maker. I ve gone with the WP series by Jebou which I'm happy with so far. His point about research and only spending money once is sage advice that most of us (me!) seem to have to relearn over and over!

11. JCerillo70

As far as the refugium, Ive read some people go deep sand beds, and some go all rubble...

How deep of a deep sand bed can i go without it effecting the water level and the baffles? In my mind the live sand will be a better filter then the rubble rock, am i on the right track?

In my head i see X" of live sand, with a piece of live rock , algea, and pods to grow for food.

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I have about 4 inches in my fuge but in hindsight (always better I know), I would have probably opted not to have sand. In further research, it seems that your fuge needs to be pretty large relative to your tank for you to get the benefits of a deep sand bed - so since it can't really can't accomplish a lot with being smaller, I'd suggest going no sand, perhaps a piece of LR, and focus on growing macro for nutrient export.