Before he explodes please help!

Discussion in 'Fish Disease' started by oldsalty1, Sep 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldsalty1

oldsalty1 Plankton

Here is a pic of one of my pond goldfish that I've had for 5 yrs. Over the past 4 wks he's swelled to this size and appears to be growing! All of the other fish are OK.

I've looked online for diagnosis and come up w/DROPSEY.

Put him in a recovery tank and treated him with Maracyn Two and an penicelin with no luck.

Before he explodes please help!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. JohnnyBoy

JohnnyBoy Purple Spiny Lobster

Looks like he definitely has the Drops. To be totally honest with you, once this species of fish gets it, there usually won't be any antibiotic that will get rid of it. I used to have a FW set-up and ran across this with 3 different fish. Turns out that they can spread this so do ourself a favor and quarantine him quickly.

4. BELLE1783

BELLE1783 Plankton

Is that a regular comet? Generally with dropsey the scales pop out and the fish looks like i pine cone. I cant tell from your pic if his scales are doing that.

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

Treatment may consist of antibiotics targeting the causative agent. They work best in the very early stages of dropsy. A more hands-on approach is to raise the aquarium's temperature a few degrees - slightly higher than usual. Adding Epsom salts (Magnesium sulfate) to the water (at a rate of 20 mg/L) helps to encourage the fish to expel unnecessary damaging fluids.
    -wiki

6. Petunia760

Petunia760 Astrea Snail

Good 'ol Dropsy! Ahh, I've had my fair share...And whaddya know...my fan tails had it. It didn't spread though, everyone else was fine. I tried everything from Maracyn 2 to raising the temp, nothing worked...so, they just lived with it. It got so bad though, that one of them was swimming upside down, poor little guy. Actually, he wasn't little at all, he was pretty big, and a pig too. You caught it early, so maybe its not to late...are you following the package directions exactly? And doing the water change after the 5 days of treatment before restarting? I can't remember if you need to remove your carbon with Maracyn or not...?

7. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

doesnt look like dropsy at all. i see no scales protruding outwards. Seems like bloat due to too much complex proteins in his diet. what are you feeding him, how often, and are veggies a component of his diet at all?

Feed some veggies; zucchini's, shaves peas, orange slices, and some brine shrimp. should clear him out in a week or two.

8. Click Here!

9. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

epson salt dosing might help out as well, but i prefer a healthier diet for this sort of thing.

10. Jace

Jace Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Iv have a fish with something similar. Come to find out he was eating the little rocks and pebbles that are on the bottom of the tank.

11. starangel59

starangel59 Plankton

Dropsy is the desease

cure is quiet impossible but, using antibiotics may add some help

god help him

12. maxking23

maxking23 Plankton

From experience, once they got it, the chances of recovering is less than 50%.