BB vs. DSB

Discussion in 'Sand' started by Covey, Dec 5, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I can't help you with the plenum questions but I can tell you that it's not advisable to vacuum or stir up a deep sand bed as it would defeat its purpose by exposing the anaerobic bacteria to oxygen.

2. Click Here!

3. darkliteseeker

darkliteseeker Astrea Snail

OK guys, I really want SPS and I want them to thrive and grow quickly but I love the look of sand instead of starboard. Now this might be a total crapshot but do you think this is a plausible idea? Use a 11/2 inch sand bed just for looks vacuumed very good once a week or two, and use a long denitrator coil for the lack of anaerobic bacteria in the sand bed. I would also use a strong skimmer and good mechanical filtration to remove nutrients before they break down and clean them every other day. Basically if I can achieve looks and performance w/o anything nuking or crashing I will be one happy guy;D

Thank you very much for any input
    Ricky

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

That should work just fine. In fact, it's how I run my system (except I don't vacuum the sand) :)

5. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

Toonen had an experiment on DSB-SSB-BB tanks with all his data and test result presented. His is scientific and not anecdotal and worhtwhile reading. Try a google search (I lost link a long time ago). I believe it might be in Reefkeeping Online.

To sum his result, those tanks with the least sand bed (BB, SSB) had the highest mortality rate.

6. Zissou

Zissou Fire Shrimp

first off excellent/clean discussion from all; that is why i love visiting this site. i had a question for one of you guys but i am not sure who said the following. you said that having a sand clean up crew is not beneficial. i have a 4" dsb with many burrowing snails, conches and two sand sifters. my sand bed has been great for almost two years now. so how firm is you statement? are they not necessary or just not your preference?
    thanks againg for the awesome thread.

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I'm not sure what you mean by "sand sifters" but sand sifting fish like certain gobies are not recommended for a deep sand bed as they consume a lot of the infauna from the sand bed and may dig deep enough to expose the anaerobic bacteria to oxygen which will kill it. Burrowing snails and conches and the like do not burrow deep enough into the sand as for as I know but I wouldn't put any kind of burrowing animals if I was using a deep sand bed. Just my opinion :)

8. Click Here!

9. Willieo101587

Willieo101587 Flamingo Tongue

Drawing from Dr. Shimek's theory (which I based my DSB on), that sand turnover is not only beneficial, but required, meaning smallish, burrowing inverts are good. The theory is that turnover is needed to oxygenate the top layers of sand. The large ones like sand-sifting sea stars and gobies eat too much of the infauna, which is why they are bad for a DSB. That's the theory, anyway. I have some hermits and burrowing snails and have had good success so far (not that I have a really demanding tank or anything).

10. reeferdude

reeferdude Fire Shrimp

i have about 2.5-3 inches of sand in my 29gal. i have a velvet damsil that is always blowing the sand around. in one spot it is down to the bottom. there is no way the sand bed is going to export nitrates as nitrogen gas, because i doubt there is any anaerobic space. i never vaccum ,but now i think i should. what do you guys think. i always have nitrate problems

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I think it's fine to lightly siphon the surface.

12. charlesr1958

charlesr1958 Flamingo Tongue

Having had to research and learn what I could of sediments in the habitats that I study and see on an almost daily basis, I can sum it all up in one word.... complex! How complex is truly mind blowing and near impossible to explore and discuss in detail and not wanting to nit pick on minor details, I have to give Curt credit for attempting the near impossible.
    Being that I am very biased towards having sediments I am going to leave it at that as I tend to be strongly opinionated towards using as much of or as many of the natural components (habitats) as possible. Given my location, I realize I have that luxory and ease of "doing".
    Anyways, for a taste of how complex this subject is, if you have the time, please check out the sediment and substrate section of my macroalgae article. During the research for it, I was amazed at how large a role virus' play as well, actualy, all of it was simply amazing. (I also touch upon phosphates/nitrogen in the seagrass article as well).

Chuck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.