Bayer complete insect killer on all coral??

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by SaltyClown, Sep 7, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. vtecintegra

vtecintegra Fire Worm

I use it on all coral. Then rinse twice before putting it in the tank. No problems yet.

2. Click Here!

3. tunamike

tunamike Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

has anyone treated their tanks with this for red bugs? im asking this because i have redbugs and cant find interceptor anywhere....

4. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

If you "treat" a tank with this, you'll kill every living thing in the tank with a nervous system. So basically everything but corals...

Interceptor is gone, but Interceptor spectrum is available now.

5. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

I just increased the light a bit yo 17 hrs on a day. So far, the chaeto looks like it doubled in size. With the other lights, it would have been dead by now. So far so good.

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

"I used it on my SPS when I found red bugs. No issues what so ever. I used 10 ml per cup of tank water and dipped for 10 minutes. I then rinsed well with tank water and placed them back in the tank."

7. Reakwonthachef

Reakwonthachef Feather Duster

I just tried this for red bugs on my green slimer, red planet and a few more acros that had red bugs. I used 60ml (2tbsp) in 24oz of water and dipped for 5 minutes. The next day, no red bugs and full PE. Amazed. I had used interceptor previously and it was no where near effective.

8. Click Here!

9. BorqueReef

BorqueReef Astrea Snail

I would not do this long term if I was people. I think it will work to kill unwanted items, but long term effects are going to happen. I actually work in this industry and have attached a link concerning the active from the EPA for people to read themselves.

Link: http://www.epa.gov/oppfead1/endanger/litstatus/effects/redleg-frog/2013/cyfluthrin/assessment.pdf

Copy paste of some of the info. Main interest of reading starts at section 4.2

4.2. Toxicity of Cyfluthrin and Beta-Cyfluthrin to Aquatic Organisms
    Table 4-1 summarizes the most sensitive aquatic toxicity endpoints, based on an evaluation of both the submitted studies and the open literature, as previously discussed. A brief summary of submitted and open literature data considered relevant to this ecological risk assessment for aquatic species is presented below. Additional information is provided in APPENDIX N. All endpoints are expressed in terms of the active ingredient (a.i.) unless otherwise specified.
    Numerous aquatic studies have been submitted to the Agency for cyfluthrin and beta-cyfluthrin. Cyfluthrin and beta-cyfluthrin are classified as very highly toxic to aquatic organisms based on data for aquatic vertebrates and invertebrates. Chronic effects were also seen in all aquatic animal taxa tested (with NOAECs as low as 0.00016 μg a.i./L). Several of the available aquatic toxicity studies are classified as supplemental primarily due to variability in the concentrations of the parent chemical throughout the studies (which is expected for cyfluthrin and beta-cyfluthrin due to their chemical properties – e.g., toxicity at low concentrations, high binding potential and low water solubility limit). Unless otherwise noted, all of the supplemental studies are considered adequate for RQ calculation.

10. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

If you google the subject there are some good threads on the subject. The general consensus seems the be the bayer is better and safer than dips like CoralRx for sensitive SPS.