Battled Back from Fin Rot

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Dr. Bergeron, Apr 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dr. Bergeron

Dr. Bergeron Peppermint Shrimp

Hello,

Wanted to share my experience with fin rot and how I battled back from it. I first noticed that one of my clowns had fin rot when his tail started to rip and his pectoral fins shortened (only fish in tank so not aggression). I kept an eye on it and it continued to get progressively worse and more aggressive over the next couple of weeks, continuing until most of the soft dorsal, 60% of both pectoral, and 70% of the tail had decayed.

Seeing that he wasn't going to get over it without help I started with a Methylene blue dip for 25 seconds in a bowl of tank water, mixed to the dilution recommended for dips. I also turned off all power heads in the tank so the only flow was from the return. I monitored the fish for 2 more weeks, giving Methylene blue dips once a week in this same way. This halted the progression of the rot.

I then started an aggressive water change policy of 80%-85% every other week (i'm normally an every other month "however-much-i-feel-like" water changer). Now, after 3 water changes the second (soft) dorsal fin has grown back completely, and 40% of the tail has regrown with the pectorals appearing thicker without much re-growth.

I plan to keep the water changes up in the future to prevent any relapses that may occur.

I hope this helps other people start a treatment plan in the future if their fish have fin rot. From what I understand fin rot can be caused by several bacterial and/or fungal sources. Methylene blue may not work to remedy all specific causes but it did work very well on mine. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

yup...I'm a WC guy..every 4 weeks...need it or not. lol
    Glad you "doctored" him up ! Cheers !