Basting a Jawfish

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by thepanfish, Jan 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

I try to get food down to him with my turkey baster but each time he freaks out and it kicks up sand. When I put flakes in he darts up and grabs more than with the baster but I want to feed him mysis shrimp? Tips, Techniques?:confused:

2. Click Here!

3. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

i try to baste them every hour or so...keeps the meat tender....oh for feeding...

if he is eating the flake no worries, mysis might be better but jawfish aren't too specialized when it comes to their diet. If they like the flakes just stick with it if he doesn't like the baster method. He may also have developed a fear of the baster, try feeding mysis by other means.

4. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

What I did to feed my skiddish Watchman is
    1 Take a syringe (Like the kind you use to inject a turkey or chicken with flavor)
    2 Take the needle part off of the syringe
    3 stick a piece of air tubing on the part that holds the needle(the kind you use for a bubbler)
    4 cut to the length you desire (you can leave it a little long so as to not disturb the new fish
    5 suck up some thawed food mixed with tank water (you can add any vitamins or garlic if you wish)
    6 lower tubing into tank near fish's hideout
    7 squirt food SLOWLY into tank

Helps give the fish food with a little less stress.

5. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

6. jeth1979

jeth1979 Flamingo Tongue

hi there just seen your ad whilst posting for a little advice myself.

just wondered what jawfish you have and what tank mates?? obviously you can try the target feeding but wondered if it was further a field than that..??

i only say this(although ppl dont believe it) but i had a yellow headed jawfish last year which got literally "bullied" almost to death by a blue cleaner wrasse!!!

in my experience the yellow heads have to be in a quieter/less stocked tank as they are shy at the best of times and not very tough/hardy. mine prefers live shrimp but even then will take all foods.

i have had much better results with "dusky" jawfish but they tend to dart in and out of the hole and generally remain in the burrow with only the head peeking out, but they are more adapted to the "general" aquarium.

if it is a dusky then perhaps that could be just the way it is, as it sounds very similar to mine!! ;)

not sure if this answers your question but hope it may help in some way...:-/

7. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

He is fine, just have a passive clown policeman (another story)

8. Click Here!

9. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Trade him for a Blue Dot