basic hoods

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by dano, May 4, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dano

dano Spaghetti Worm

the hoods you get with a combo tank are they reliable enough to put a sea bulb and what do you recommend

2. Click Here!

3. captivereefs

captivereefs Feather Duster

They will work with a standard bukb but the bulb itself will not suppoort coral growth. For a nice appearence of a fish only tank coralife makes a nice 50/50 bulb.

4. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

What is a sea bulb?
    As Darin said this would have to be a fish only tank.

5. dano

dano Spaghetti Worm

by sea bulb i kindof meant that the higher wattage of light needed for coral growth and other life. i believe that the standard bulbs that come with the hoods are 22 watts. i could be wrong. will the higher wattage lamps work and not melt the hood and tank combos that you buy at lfs.

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

You need a light fixture rated for the Wattage bulb you plan on buying. More often than not the bulb will just not fire. but I would never put a bulb hated for hight Watts in a low watt fixture.

Lights are in the top 2 most expensive things to buy list, when starting a Reef. If you skimp on the lights you will not have success with corals.
    J

7. captivereefs

captivereefs Feather Duster

What size tank do you have? Do you know what types of corals you are interested in?

8. Click Here!

9. dano

dano Spaghetti Worm

i have a 40 gallon just to start i will probally get sand and live rock later add some tree coral and possibly a brain