Barnacles? Goog or Bad?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by joshyjoe, Nov 7, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. joshyjoe

joshyjoe Plankton

I have a new 55 gal salt water tank w/ 3 live rocks and live sand. no fish yet on the first cycle so nothing other than rock and sand. Ok question is, I have two large live rocks about the size of soccer ball each that are completely covered in live barnancles. They come out and sweep the new water constantly for plankton. I want to know if they are good or bad and will they spread through out the tank to other rocks and or to the glass and or skimmer/pump parts. They came out of 150 gal tank established for years. They seem fine, alive and well just want to know if they will spread and kill other coral or other plant life that may eventually be put into the tank. Thanks for all your help.

JK

2. Click Here!

3. silverwolf72

silverwolf72 Skunk Shrimp

Do you have pics, as far as I know peoples tanks don't have enough food for these guys to survive

4. joshyjoe

joshyjoe Plankton

pics of barnacles

::) here are a few pics of the barnacles and the whole tank. there is also a clam or an oyster that is attached to the corner that is alive and opens up as well. :)

Attached Files:

5. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Barnacles are good. They are harmless filter feeders. The problem with all the stuff on your live rock is, it may die during your cycling period and prolong the process. Nothing to worry about yet. And what's with the stuff on the back of the tank. And it was hard to look at your pics sideways.

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

True, but most die b/c one cannot feed it enough. Luna

7. joshyjoe

joshyjoe Plankton

Tank stuff?

I was told that the stuff on the back of the tank is good purple algae. this tank is not new and has had a reef before.

8. Click Here!

9. Aleena

Aleena Plankton

Hey where did you find those barnacles? I need them for a study that I am doing. Any suggestions?