Bangaii Cardinal Breeding Tank Size?

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by kris4913, Mar 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kris4913

kris4913 Plankton

I have had a 58 Show Oceanic tank for years & I have been fragging & selling corals for a while. I want to start a new adventure & I am considering breeding Bangaii Cardinals. I think I would just rather start a 2nd breeding tank just for them so I don't have to worry about trying to fish dad or babies out of my larger, reef tank. If you have successfully bred B. Cardinals, what size breeding tank would you recommend? I was planning on getting something fairly short & longer (20L?) and then getting dividers & a breeding net for when babies come so they can be separated from adults.

Thanks!
    Kris

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

4. joshuaflora87

joshuaflora87 Plankton

bangiis are mouth brooders... theres actually an article on cardinals in Marine fish and reef usa 2009. it has some info about them and PJs.

5. Kirklandp

Kirklandp Coral Banded Shrimp

Sounds very interesting!!! Are they easily bred?

6. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

got this from an artical...

Breeding:
    Unique amongst marine aquarium hobby fish, Bangaii Cardinals are mouth brooding live bearer. It is ironic also that it is even easier to breed and raise these fish in captivity than the common clownfish, and yet the collection pressure for the trade have nearly pushed these fish to the brink of the Endangered Species list.

Life begins for these remarkable fish as red eggs, about 2mm in diameter, carried in a sac by the female in the mouth. When ready, the female releases the eggs, and the male fertilize them and then promptly scoops them up into his mouth. Approximately 20 days later, fully formed fry hatch and continues to be carried by daddy for another 3-4 days.

Safety is sought for the frys in the form of the long sharp spines of sea urchins (Diadema), or the tentacles of sea anemones, as the male finally release them out. Successful breeding and raising of frys in captivity have been frequently reported. Sometimes aquarists have even provided the safe haven of a special sea urchin a-la-cocktail-stick (cocktail sticks or BBQ skewers pinned into a blob of putty). Various levels of success have been reported with different style of feeding, whilst small live food is preferred, enriched frozen fares have also been used successfully.

7. lotsnlotsoffish

lotsnlotsoffish Plankton

Does anyone know if you can breed these guys in a 30gallon?

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Kirklandp

Kirklandp Coral Banded Shrimp

AS far as I know they dont get too big and a thirty would be great. JMO