balling method

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by reef_guru, Dec 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 1st time

1st time Purple Spiny Lobster

It's an interesting article, if I were younger and had the equipment --it might be fun to mix this up. I am going to experiment on taking the daily measurements to see how much calcium I'm using. As I have gotten more hard corals I have had some trouble keeping everything at the Right level, this might help me figure out my daily needs.

2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

No!!

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

'

I know what Balls method is and I was doing it long before it was supposedly "invented" and they started calling it the Balling method. Why would I need to read or research it?

It works well. Very well. My frags from my 200 gallon SPS frag tank paid for the upkeep of all of my other various species tanks. At one time I had about 1000 gallons spread in various places around my house.

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Well, like I stated in my post;

6. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

inwall: maybe you can explain what you did, and ill bet you its different than this method

lunatik and everyone else: whether you have a Ca/CaOH2 reactor or liquid supps your still dosing

this method is very productive, its a shame nobody on this site is willing to spend time to have a conversation about it.

ermano: im not asking people which one they prefer, this in an open forum on the method

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  7. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I read the article. It makes some sense, but I don't fully understand it.

Perhaps you could enlighten us and further explain or break it down into simpler to understand language so we can have a productive conversation? It does sound like something worthwhile.

8. Click Here!

9. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

zachB:

you dont have any control over the elements with the Ca/CaOH2 reactors
    with the balling method you do, added bonus is an automatic water change.

10. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

11. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

zachB:

yes thats one site out there on this method, there are many others, glad you gave the time to google.

the method is named after hans balling, there are other methods such as the same. with the salts added tank water needs to be taken out to balance the system. using fauna marin without NaCl is needed so the system stays balanced.

2-part dosing is different than the balling method.
    glassbox-design.com » The Balling Method | How does it differ from Two Part?

1 person likes this.
  12. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

This does seem like a good solution. Once I start doing stony corals and such I will probably look into the "complete" method, as it seems more beneficial than standard dosing.

"Due to the cost of the NaCl free salt and various additives used in the Complete and Complete Plus variations, many opt “to go light” and follow Fauna Marin’s Balling Light, using Ultra Trace B supplements (Strontium-Barium, Heavy Metal Complex, and Iodine-Flourine). It’s very simple, mix the Ca, Alk, and Mg solutions and then add 25ml of a particular Ultra Trace B additive to the solutions. Ultra Trace B is compatible with DIY Two Part. For more detailed instructions please read FM’s write up."

I could probably do the light version now, and benefit with the corals I currently have though.