Balling Method explained by Dr. Balling on video

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by yvr, Jan 28, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Yes it's there. Where does it go? Stays there mostly.
    Ever add any Boron to your DT?

2. Click Here!

3. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Another reason I like a Calcium reactor.

4. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

I'm really not in a mood for a protracted argument on this. I am not claiming the way were doing it is terrible or his is the only way. I'm only pointing out that his basic hypothesis is largely correct.

We dose two part and magnesium and everyone is fine with it. We dose two part with (magnesium and other trace elements) and people act as if it's outlandish apostasy.

I think folks are reading too much into what he's saying.

5. Servillius

Incidentally, I just looked over your all caps and underlined overwrought response. You do understand that I'm responding to the claim water changes are sufficient to replace all this other stuff, right?

You asked, I paraphrase, whether this is what a decent salt mix would do. Getting all huffy about keeping it stable has nothing to do with using water changes as a replacement technique.

1 person likes this.
  6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I only made a few words all caps. I was making a point also. Namely, can you test for these trace elements, do we know they get used up? Then I said actually I believe there are some tests for many of these.
    I wasn't huffy, I can see how it came across that way.
    If memory serves me correct, you have an awesome Reef tank yourself.
    Do you use this method?

From one Texan to another, Reef On!

1 person likes this.
  7. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

To answer todds question, yes you can test for those trace elements. At a hobbiest level no, but laboratory testing can. Which is what Hans Werner Balling did for years to develope this precise system.

Ive seen many reefers on other forums doubt this method and ask why its better than 2 part dosing or just waterchanges.

Its not better than 2 part dosing and water changes but a different way to run your tank. Its obviously not for everyone just like carbon dosing and zeovit, but there are several users of this method with stunning tanks.
    Whichever way you choose to run your tank is your desicion.

But dont knock this method without fully understanding whats in it and how it works.

Tropic marine has tons of these questions and answers on their website if anyone wants more direct info.

8. Click Here!

9. Servillius

I was having a bit of a day yesterday. I probably could have done a better job of not assuming the worst :)

1 person likes this.
  10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I was also having an attitude when I posted my first post, Peace, reef on!