Balanophyllia vs Dendrophyllia

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by whippy, Jun 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Does anyone know the difference between these two corals? I've been trying to look for more info to no avail.... :(

Edit:

I have noticed that dendro is more solid yellow/orange and balano is more translucent with speckles. Is that it?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

4. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Balanophyllias are more of a cold water species, not many are tropic. Most come from N Cali and England. They are oval and have feeding tentacles similar to acans or brains, short nubby little tentacles.
    Dendros look like sun coral(Tubastrea) but instead of being a dome shape they are branching. Dendros like sun corals are non-photosynthetic and need to be fed quite abit to stay healthy.
    I would go with the Dendro over the balano, and if you can find someone with a dendro and get a frag, too many places charge WAY too much for these corals!!

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  5. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

I feed my dendro about every other day - I target feed with a little bit of the "juice" from Rod's food. It has definitely grown.

Maybe I'll have to get into the dendro fragging business! ;) It might be awhile before I have anything to frag, though!

6. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Cost + shipping to 22193 :shifty:

LOL!

Edit: Darn....Start fragging!! LOL

7. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

There are alot of guys and gals with dendros out there, some just like to charge WAY too much for them!!
    I would look around before pulling the trigger, and get involved with reef clubs if you haven't already!