Balance alk and Calc.

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by new2salt2, Mar 29, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I think your tank was so far out of wack the the test kits would not read correctly.

2. Click Here!

3. Boomer

Boomer Feather Duster

is it normal for the calc and alk to fall sooo slowly?

Yes, as I doubt you have much in hard corals or coralline algae which bring theme down. Alk will always fall faster than Ca, just so you know and sometimes much faster. If you attached all the Ca to all of the Alk in your tank, the Ca would still be around 300 mg/l l. Look at it this way, if we convert Ca at 400 mg / l --> Ca meq/ l, at NSW levels,, the Alk = 2.25 meq/ l and the Ca = 10 meq/ l.

4. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

i do have a few rocks with a bit of purple, red and green coraline on them. seems to spread a tiny bit (very tiny) every day. been noticing small spots showing up here and there on rocks too.

question i have is. will the alk and calc evaporate with the water? or does it have to be used up in tank to lower?

i topped off tongiht to 1.02.5 SG.

alk still at 5
    calc at 575
    amonia .25
    trate 15
    trite 0
    ph 8.3

5. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

just went out and bought a PH and Amonia Dry tab test kit.

amonia was 0
    and PH was 8.6

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Still say let it be and drop down on it's own.
    Cal and alk is used by corals / coralline algae and what is not used up (looking for a better word then evaporates) evaps with water.

Do you have another tank to put your fish in? if so we could start over on the main tank.

7. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

no i dont anymore. i just gave away my 30 gal last month and using my 75gal for fresh water. the PH is starting to worry me though. i am still not touching and the coral are opening some. the smaller polyps that i thought were all dead are very tiny, but look real health. sure they have adapted to my poor salt thumb.

8. Click Here!

9. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Keep us posted here.
    If still high I would be thinking about getting a different cal / alk test to compare it too.

10. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

well tonight

SG 1.023
    PH 8.6 ( seems high how can i lower?)
    amonia 0
    trite 0
    trate higher than 15 lower than 20
    calc 560
    alk 5

i dont know why calc is going down slow and alk seems to be staying same. i have noticed an increase in my PH tho that concerns me. no additives yet. my TRATES are going up a bit, time for water change yet???

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

pH is linked with Calcium and Alk.
    Looks like it is slowly coming down.
    Salinity is coming up (what are you testing this with?)
    What salt mix are you using again?

12. Boomer

Boomer Feather Duster

With a pH, Alk and Ca that high, it should be "snowing" in your tank (fall-out from CaCO3 going out of solution). Do you have any homemade LR in there ?

Go make a fresh batch of seawater mix and test it for pH Alk and Ca, do not put in the tank. Test it right out of a 5 gal bucket after it has be aerated for 12-24 hrs.