Balance alk and Calc.

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by new2salt2, Mar 29, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

hey nautilus. i will be working until evening .. i tested on Wednesday with still around 575-600PPM calc. and 5PPM alk.

will be testing around 6-7pm when i get home. pacific time. will post all test results of trate, amon. alk and cal.

i think we figured it though. some polyps that looked closed so tight i could not even see the opening hole have now a very small pin hole on them to open. i think this is working.

2. Click Here!

3. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

ok.. tonight.

SG 1.023
    PH 8.3
    alk 5.6
    calc 575-600
    amonia .25
    trate 15

looks same as before
    so i tested my fresh mixed saltwater i have set aside and i get 450PPM from it. tested fresh water prior to mixing and it is about 50-75PPM calc. so not sure.. waiting for your resonse. although my hermit crab is molting right now.. i found a sand dollar shell that my son put in tank about 6 months ago and removed it. and polyps, though not opend , seem to be stablalizing.

4. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Still wait and see here and don't become the additive addict :D
    How long has this tank been up?
    When changing water so much like you were doing I don't think your tank has fully cycled yet and that is the reason your ammonia and Nitrites and Nitrates are still up.
    Is the cal test fluctuating 575 to 600 and if so why? You can't get an exact reading?

Matt says Go Slow Let it Grow. it will come around.

5. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

using the LaMotte test the 575 PPm is when inoticed the change to blue and the 600 is when it was a deep royal blue.

been setup now as FOWLR more then a year and didnt do too frequent water changes. i get the nitrate spike always after water change within days but stablizes where it is now.

i have not added anything except top off water to the tank in almost a week now

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I have heard the freshly mixed salt will make the nitrates spike alittle but never really tested for that after a water change.

You could do small fresh ro/di water change to drop the calcium and alk down but would need to buffer with something like turbo DKH to keep SG up.

7. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

tonight test.

same as last night in all respect.

do you think my trickle/waterfall filter might have a hand in the trate and amonia spikes?

should i turn it off for now?

8. Click Here!

9. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

It is a bio wheel?
    Does it have sponges in it?
    You could really use a sump mister, do you have an aquarium laying around to put under your tank?

I would never turn off the filter, do you have a picture of it or a link to it on the web?
    Go Slow and let it adjust to no new salt water changes.

10. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I think you are in need of some Karma...some coming your way.

11. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

it is not a bio wheel. just has the carbon filter pad that slides into slots. am working getting a sump. will probably make one from plastic tote as i dont want to drill and no, i just gave away my 30 gal tank >>!>!>!> GRRRRRRRR

12. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

tests comming soon.. and BTW thanks for the karma