Baking soda as a buffer???

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by troythegreat, Apr 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I have not read this whole thread, so excuse me if am repeating info. I have been using baking soda with borax at a ratio of 4 to 1(BS-4 B-1) for almost a yr and I really cant see a negative effect. I have noticed that my ph/Alk stays where I want it longer than a off the shelf product.

Luna

2. Click Here!

3. Ricardo_Jorge

Ricardo_Jorge Astrea Snail

Hi, troy

with BAKING SODA the pH tends to have a VERY SMALL DROP.

with BAKED BAKING SODA the pH tends to have a VERY HIGH AND FAST RISE.

So, you have to be very carefull with tha BAKED BAKING SODA.

Hug

4. troythegreat

troythegreat Astrea Snail

thanks luna, i think ill start using the baking soda/borax method, seeing that you havent had any problems with it....by the way. where would i get borax from?

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Need to make sure that you get the "right" BS. You CANT just use the regular BS that you put in the fridge.

This is the BS......
    [​IMG]

and this is the Borax.....
    [​IMG]

Make sure that you mix it 4(BS) to 1(Borax) and start small. I would start like 4 tsp of BS and 1 tsp of B. Both products can be found at your local supermarket in the detergent aisle.

Luna

6. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

This is the first time I've heard this. What's wrong with regular baking soda?

7. Optimist

Optimist Peppermint Shrimp

lol... yeah, I've been using regular and not even baking it. I didn't know there was a "special" kind. I am now going to put that box on the front lawn to kill some blue grass!

8. Click Here!

9. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

There is a difference, I just dont remember what it was. Luna

11. troythegreat

troythegreat Astrea Snail

Thanks alot for the info Luna, i think ill try this.....ill let you know how it goes

12. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Troy, the 4:1 ratio is what I use too, and it's what Tangster has recommended time and time again - see Grotto's comments on page 1 of this old Dr Howell thread:
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/water-chemistry/why-not-use-borax-baking-soda-49811.html
    Just searching works great - you can read in that thread how we broke it all down to the Material Safety Data Sheets for the commercial buffers, and the main active ingredients are typically the same as in baking soda and borax - just don't get confused about the B.S. with the stunt they pulled lying that they had some Chemistry PHD tell them the baking soda and borax was harmful - as that is what is in the expensive commercial buffers anyway.