Urgent Bag of Carbon split now tank is black!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by LucBB, Feb 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LucBB

LucBB Bristle Worm

Help guys. I was taking my bag of carbon out of my sump (Big big bag!) and it got caught on something sharp, i think a chip in the glass on on of the sump baffles. All the carbon fell out of the bag and into the bottom of the sump and turned the water pitch black.

SEE!!!!!! :(
    [​IMG]

Ive removed almost all of the spilt carbon from the sump. What do i need to do now? Im guessing a waterchange is next on the list.

Will my livestock be ok? There is a few fish, a few shrimp, some snails and a few corals. Please tell me everything will be ok!

How long will it take for this to clear up?

Bloody typical! I thought things were just starting to look up for me and the tank.

2. Click Here!

3. bama

bama Humpback Whale

It will be ok.. The carbon will settle..

1 person likes this.
  4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

LucBB if you have any filter matt or padding between the overflow and the sump
    or can get a filter sock on the end of your overflow to catch the suspended particles
    it will help it to clear quicker

Water change once it starts settling is a good idea as not all of it will make it to the overflow and some will settle on rock/ sand bed etc so use the water change to hoover over those areas

Steve

3 people like this.
  5. LucBB

LucBB Bristle Worm

So its not the end of the world then? That is very good to hear as it turns out i have had some even worse luck. My RO/DI unit has decided to start spraying jets of water everywhere! Great start to my (chinese) new year huh. :)

6. bama

bama Humpback Whale

No its not.. Think of it this way, would all of us put carbon directly into the flow of our tank if we were afraid of it? The answer it no. It will not hurt your tank. While it might look ugly, its not bad.. Dont worry, and just siphon out the stuff that falls out of the water column when its all said and done with..

7. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Steve right, mechanical filtration will help clear the tank quicker, but as everone said, it wont harm anything.

8. Click Here!

9. LucBB

LucBB Bristle Worm

ok. Thanks guys. I can go to bed and sleep well tonight now. :)

10. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Not the end of the world, but get mechanical filtration going. Micron filter sock, filter mat on the overflow.... some form of filter will help.

M