bacterial infection ???

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Kyfishguy, Dec 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kyfishguy

Kyfishguy Astrea Snail

in hindsight i think the oysters or my raw food storage habits(throwing raw food into the fridge and not using it all the same day) caused this whole thing - or the trigger brought this in

and furthermore i think whatever has made these fish sick is whats made them susceptible to ich and possibly velvet but thats beside the point here i think

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Helpful future hint.... keep records of things you do to the tank. Being able to refer back to such things as new acquisitions, daily observations and so on, can prove invaluable in such situations. Start to write things down if you know recollection is not your strong suit.

First, don't treat anyone with antibiotics. I'm not seeing/reading anything that would indicate a bacterial infection.

I would not blame the oyster unless it looked or smelled foul before you fed it out. The warnings on the label applies to oysters from different areas at different times and some places just run the warning 24/7. Basically, the warning means, if you are human and eat the oysters raw, you could wind up with the bathroom trots. These warnings are nothing unusual, new or alarming.

That's a lot of fish, some with attitudes, for a 75 gallon. It may have worked for a year, but that doesn't mean it's still working or will continue to work. After such an extended time, these fish should be getting bigger and sexually mature. Sexually mature fish are looking to secure food and real estate while putting pressure on the locals to stay out of there area. Many signs of aggression in a tank are missed by us. Many times they are subtle and unrecognized as being such. So, not seeing it doesn't mean it not there.

After a year, your Hippo should not be small anymore. Stunted growth can come from an incomplete diet and stress. If your tang is still small as described, you're probably looking at one or the other.

It wasn't in the tanks best interest to remove 35lbs of rock from the 75 gallon to start another. That's way too much biological filtration to remove all at once. After a year, that has a nice balance of bacteria:fish ratio. Your tank was definitely stressed and unstable after this move. A foxface turning pale and hiding is one of their signs of stress, not an internal infection.

How long after you moved the 35lbs to the 75 gallon, did you wait to add fish?

Where did the 30lbs of live rock come from that you put into the new 55? How long did you wait before you put the first fish in there? Did you put the trigger and eel in at one time? What has your tank parameters been in these 3 tanks throughout all of this? How long between the addition of the trigger and then the addition of the foxface?

Have you actually seen Ich? Can you put up those pictures? That will change recommendations 10-fold. If you have Ich, treat it. Otherwise I would let those tanks stabilize out. Vitamin C is very much proven to assist fish through times of stress by support immune function. Keep up on water changes for awhile for ensure top notch quality.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  4. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Please tell me you bought those test kits after they were suggested in another thread?!?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012