Bacteria in a Bottle - Do They Work Like They Say? Come in and Find Out.

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Renee@LionfishLair, Jun 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I will, I'm cycling only using pellets. Kinda wish I did the pure ammonia way, but I'm putting the same amount in every day at the same time, should accomplish a similar goal. 5 pellets a day

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Day 5:
    I added more of the biospira yesterday due to a ammonia spike
    trites still about 2.0 id not a bit over, after a spike up near 5.0
    trates about 40
    I hear a high trate spike after using this product is kinda normal, but that sucks.

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

OK DAY 7 and my analysis so far using bio spira:
    It kinda works, shortens the cycle for sure, BUT DO NOT ADD FISH LIKE IT SAYS!
    Overall it worked, but ammonia was still present on day 5, and trites were spiked about at 5 ppm on day 4 and 5 and trates skyrocketed. I did a 2G WC on a 5G tank and that seemed to solve the cycle stall. And added more bio spira.

This morning I added pure ammonia till I got a 1 ppm reading, this afternoon, ammonia was gone, trite zero and trates about 5 ppm.

IMO, I'd still just be patient and cycle normally without this product. It worked, but on a larger tank, the WC's would be more $$$ and hassle than the few extra weeks it takes to cycle! Plus I'd still be weary of mini cycles after this. But if you use it, have a HUGE WC ready.

Edit: after reading Mr. Bills post I forgot.
    I added bio spira on day 1, 3 and 5 since the bottle was for 30g I had plenty for the 5g

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I agree with not using a live fish to cycle under any circumstance. :thumb_up:

One strong possibility here is that your initial dose of bacteria had time to die, as processed foods such as pellets and flakes take longer to break down than raw food (fresh or frozen). Had you waited until you detected ammonia before adding the first dose (or used pure ammonia for the source), you should've gotten better results. Definitely a perfect example of how even an experienced aquarist can unwittingly cause product failure.

1 person likes this.
  6. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I know I'm suppose to have gotten going on this by now, but our family is now experiencing serious cancer complications.

1 person likes this.
  7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Yeah, Mr. Bill, I forgot to add that I added the biospira on days 1, 3, and 5 because I was concerned about that. I edited my initial post. In hind sight, I think the ammonia idea is much better for that exact reason.

Here's a calculator for ammonia
    Calculator

8. Click Here!

9. sim1killa

sim1killa Astrea Snail

Cosmo, for future note use the entire bottle all at once that will give you the best results. you can't overdose. also just pellets is usually not enough. its best to add ammonia or a fish.

10. luisgo

luisgo Astrea Snail

Subscribed to this thread! Very interested in the results. I never used bacteria in the past to cicle my tanks.

11. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

So, I have started with the "all natural" not using any bottled stuff approach... it's been painfully slow. Now the ammonia seems to be processing fine, but the nitrites are sitting at 1-2 ppm. I do have 5 ppm Nitrate, from clean starting water. I have some chaeto in the sump, it doesn't seem to be liking the water, even though there's nitrate and lots of light with water flow.

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Yeah, as stated, I wish i did the ammonia route. BUT PLEASE DON'T ADVOCATE USING A LIVE FISH, even though I used plenty with a 5g and also using microbelift daily as well I stiil had amm, and trite spikes, not cool to use a fish if it doesn't go as planned. Ammonia is cheaper than a fish too, and ya don't have to catch it when you realize a YT damsel is satans spawn;)

Chaeto won't do that well yet, need to build some stuff up, but a natural cycle takes 4-6 weeks. What are you using for an ammonia source?