Back Flushing Your RO/DI Unit

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Diver_1298, Jan 18, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bouraganes

bouraganes Peppermint Shrimp

2. Click Here!

3. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

That is cool, but for now I'll stay with the manufacturer's recommendation. 2+ years and thousands of gallons later the DOC meter is showing little if any change from when it was new. Frankly, I'm shocked it has lasted so long. I've got my $ out of the membrane.

Oh, yes I know how a RO unit works and understand how back-flushing is "supposed" to work. I've used osmotic membranes in science classes all they way back to 6th grade. They are simple devices. I doubt that CL is any tougher on the membrane during back-flushing than normal operation. Also, do you understand how large bacteria are when compared to a functional RO membrane? It is roughly like trying to push a softball through a screen door. The only way bacteria are getting through is if the RO unit fails. You can do it, but something had to fail. That is why RO units are used by the military and campers to purify water for drinking.

Anyway, I'm just glad they are available at a reasonable/cheap cost. The improvement in water quality vs. treated tap water is just phenomenal. :)