Awesome LED Weather Simulation

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by crank2211, Apr 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I don't see where I said it does not thunderstorm on the reef. Please point out where I said that. Please read what is written and not what your imagination comes up with.

If you look at his fish, every time the lights go on and flicker they freak out. If you have ever been unfortunate enough to be on the reef during a storm you will notice the fish do not act the way they are in his tank.

2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

You imply it. Fish that are caught on the reef are used to lightning; unless the flash duration is too long for them to recognize as such, there's no reason to say "the fish aren't used to it". Those are all fish that aren't commercially bred. Those fish are all swimming in normal patterns consistent with what they were doing before the lightning started. Those fish don't make any motions as if they're startled when the flashes go off; any movements are began before the flashes, not after.

4. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I did not imply anything. You made an assumption and were wrong...

A wild caught fish can become use to aquarium life easily where lightning storms do not occur. Normally, fish on a reef go about there business and/or stay in one spot. His fish were constantly coming out then darting back in. Therefor, they are not use to the lightning storm effect of the lights. If they were fresh from the ocean I would say they should be use to it. Most fish spend a considerable amount of time off the reef after capture before you get them. Unless you buy them directly from the divers, your fish have gone through many middle men.

5. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

nice, but can it simulate a tidal wave? too much stress on fishes I believe.. but kool nevertheless..

6. Nealio

Nealio Coral Banded Shrimp

Have you ever been to the Keys during the summer? There is pretty much a thunderstorm a day.

7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

i still dont want my fish dealing with that kind of stress. Loved watching his fish deal though!

8. Click Here!

9. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

Using the GHL w/LED.. very cool (but $$$$$). heres another vid of the lightning effect: YouTube - Profilux Simu Light Stick
    and another.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoS0PnSaiOE&feature=related
    I cant say the fish would rly mind this (unless the on/off time is to long). I have read that this "lightning" in combination with an increased wave effect during the "storm" can actually stimulate the fish and corals appetite. in the ocean after a storm i guess there is an increase in plankton or some other form of food that get stirred up during a storm.

would love to have this but blew my $$$ on the GHL doser a while back so need to hold off on this for a long while.

10. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

actually now that i think about it i dont think it would be so natural for fish to experience brilliant flashes of lightning during the day but only at night. I mean how much does a flashlight make you squint during the day as opposed to at night?? point being is lighting during the day is not as bright as depicted in the vid under water in comparison to at night. so fish probably only really notice lightning at night. this persons lightning setting is just too strong for what the fish would see in an ocean during the day i guess. oh well.. still cool to me.

11. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

I've been living in Hawaii for three years now, and have never seen a thunder storm. Lots of rain/big waves though.

Cool nonetheless. If he can do that, he should be able to simulate passing clouds, which may be more useful.

12. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Well, I'd imagine it can vary; the clouds here in NJ vary from a white with a touch of gray to a full-on DARK gray during storms even during the middle of the day; if it's during the dark gray, it could very well show a big difference in the lightning brightness.