Automatic Top-Offs

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by GatorDrew, Apr 28, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tazzy695

tazzy695 Feather Duster

ok here is what I did not 100% auto but it works great for me

I have a 18g rubbermaid tote (common storage tote) that I cut a small hole in the lid placed in the laundry room

ro filter in the laundry room attached to a garden hose splitter about $2 in total cost when I need water about 1 time a week or so for top off and couple times a month for water changes I fill this tote wich I also keep a powerhead in for flow (keeps water from going stale)

I also last night built an ato system out of a bilge pump and float switch for a boat and a old powersupply that I had laying around (built for cb radios) I wired them all together according to their directions and put the float switch upside down so when the water comes up it shuts the pump off and as it evaps to a certain level it turns the pump on and fills the sump back up to the proper level

all in all I have about $30 invested with exception to the ro unit

but definately get the ro unit or buy ro water this will prevent massive amounts of nuicence algae and other issues

2. Click Here!

3. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

is there copper in any of those parts? :eek:

4. tazzy695

tazzy695 Feather Duster

only the wire for the electrical but none of that actualy touches water any copper from my house plumbing gets removed by the ro filter

all the plumbing parts and exposed pump parts are plastic

5. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Good ;) im gonna get a float switch, splice it into a extension cord, and plug into a small pump. Got the idea from melev's website :D

6. tazzy695

tazzy695 Feather Duster

well what I did the float switch was only good for 12v and so was the pump only problem I ran into was finding a powersuply that ws strong enough to run the pump as it required 2 amps worth of power most of the common 12v poweradapters you can buy only give you .5 amp