Automatic Feeding of Fish

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by eric1980, Jan 18, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. eric1980

eric1980 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I am at the point now where I would like to setup an automatic feeder to feed my fish when I am not around. Are there any feeders that are capable of being completely submerged? The reason I ask is that I have netting on the top of my tank to keep inhabitants from jumping out. I would rather not go the route of putting a versa top on and cutting it because it is much easier to clean the netting. Just curious what others do?

2. Click Here!

3. Pankak322

Pankak322 Flamingo Tongue

I'm not a huge fan of Autofeeders, it generates bad habits. Some times they over feed, some times it gets jammed and cant feed at all, and you just tend to forget about it.

As for submersible ones, never heard of them, but if there was such a thing Id like to see how it would work. I feel like once it would turn to let the food out the water would rush in and wreck of the rest of the food not to be released at that set time. Also you end up having reload the autofeeders so wouldn't it just be easier to feed... you can also use that time to really look at your tank and see how your fish are behaving.

4. symon_say

symon_say Astrea Snail

What do you plan to feed?? if it pellets it should pass throw the net and if not, you just need a small hole in the net for the food to pass.

I have an Eheim an it works really nice i feed NLS pellets.

5. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

I have always autofed, I manually feed 1 piece of frozen daily, I gauge their feeding on. The ferocity of this meal, if they are hungry they go crazy, but don't forget, no one feeds them in the wild, they will eat the algae if they are hungry

6. scuzy

scuzy Flamingo Tongue

I am planning to use two eheim auto feeder that dumps flakes into a glass ring that is 1inch thick that is part submerge, then I have my apex time an air pump to turn on and a air hose with be right under the ring to cause water movement so the flakes will drop to the bottom. This will be my solution for feeding when I am at work.

7. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

Do you have a sump? I'd imagine if you had an auto feeder in the return section it would send flake food into the DT. Maybe it's not the best for your impeller though

8. Click Here!

9. scuzy

scuzy Flamingo Tongue

I think the return pump would make the flakes to minuscule compare to my current setup