Auto Water Change System

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by rocketmandb, Apr 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I did what you are doing about 10 years or so ago. The reason it is not on every hobbyists tank is it has proven to not be as accurate over time as it needs to be. Even though nothing obvious changed, the salinity on my tank would slowly drift. It was still worth it to me not to have to lug water around and it was nice and clean. But, I'm sorry, as much as I wanted it to be, it was not accurate. I think it stayed pretty good for the first few months, but it was a long time ago, and I can't recall exactly.

You are underestimating how difficult it is to match the volumes. Then there's the subtle changes that occur over time that throw it off. There is just too many variables for this to be a safe and reliable alternative. Many people have tried this.

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Which was?

4. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I can't say that is wrong, but to me it was a worth while endeavor. I did not find any major drifts one way or the other. If you determine what your drift is, then it can easily be fixed.

So with a ATO system... if you change water before it is topped off, then top off with the water change, you will be adding salt water where fresh water should have been raising salinity over time. But at most it was a couple of ounces because my ATO was very accurate.

Plus, just using two part rasied salinity a bit, but skimming wet could remove some of that. Having said that, I never noticed any pronounced drift on way or the other. Very stable to the point I could make it satable. Any small variation could be corrected with salt mix.

But you are certainly correct that there are many variables involved, and adding in two pumps being/not being matched is another complication best designed out. That would require regular calibration to ensure they were still matched. Using other methods takes that variable out of the picture.

5. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

If you have to keep monitoring it for drift.... that kindda takes the auto out of it.

6. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

That's the point... I monitor it just to monitor it. And never would just take eyes off for years and figure it was good. In normal monitoring I never detected a "drift" one way or the other. If I found my salinity a little off one way or the other then you just adjust you salt mix a little high or low..... again though which is normal to me.

You can use salinity probes to totally automate everything, add salt or fresh to maintain salinity... we have the proccessing power... I would just never trust it. I would still have to monitor it.

7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I have a pinpoint and the apex module for conductivity and neither are to be trusted. The probes drift faster than the pumps... I have tried a few methods and found most to be more trouble than just doing a water change the old fashioned way. I found a solution that is near exact through my apex and a Tunze Osmolator and it was only $40 or so in extra parts. But I tried 2 mj1200s, 2 BRS 50ml/minute pumps, very wet skimming and topping off with a slightly salty water (that was a real pita) I tried using the apex conductivity module to program it. And every single one could wreak havoc in just a weeks time. (not the first week, but after some time it would go from all good to holy cow in much shorter time periods than it was worth)

8. Click Here!

9. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Ya, I would not trust a probe. A guy I talk to was actually trying to automate his salt water mixing. He had a really big system. He said he had HUGE problems trying to add salt consistently... he tried all sorts of ways. Much harder than it sounds.

I found my osmolator system to work quite well... but as you know I already had most of it... to but it off the shelf would be a bit... but of course you have a ATO and Apex then. :)

Not to take away from RocketMan's thread. I have been watching this and curious f updates and how it has held up, but he must be busy.