Auto aqua smart ato

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by tinctorus, Jul 27, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tinctorus

tinctorus Feather Duster

Hey I'm curious if anyone is currently running one of these ato units on there tank, I like that it uses a optical sensor on it instead of a mechanical type float valve that can be messed with by a small animal like a snail or crab sitting on the float valve
    It seems like a really nice unit that comes with everything you need other than a reservoir since everyone needs a different size one

2. Click Here!

3. Pdxile

Pdxile Coral Banded Shrimp

I've never tried that brand, but I just won an aquafill unit from 3reef. I love no float switches. Mine has conductivity probes, but I've heard awesome things about the tunze osmolator that has optical sensors.

4. tinctorus

tinctorus Feather Duster

Anyone else familiar with this particular unit?

5. tinctorus

tinctorus Feather Duster

Bump for anyone who uses this ato

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

If you put it where your livestock is, a snail can't get on the sensor?

I just use quality float valves on my DIY ATO.

All this talk about snails, etc. Mine's in the sump, no snails ATM.
    AND, The valve is ABOVE the water line several inches. The float is VERY bouyant also.
    FWIW- no elec. no pumps, no sensors, etc.

7. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

I have that ATO and couldn't be happier. It does come with everything except the resevoir. I use a bucket that is similar in shape to a plastic salt bottle/bucket from petsmart. The top off pump is tiny and has good head strength. I would say the pump would be adaquate for a 100 gallon tank with a canopy. The sensor is optical and it must be able to "see" the magnet on the outside of the tank. The only drawback I see is that this thing hates bubbles. It hates bubbles with a passion. If there are any bubbles coming from your skimmer or too much water movement between baffles causing bubbles this thing will start kicking and screaming like a 3 year old. Other than that I love it. It will shut off if your resevoir goes dry and remembers the fill time from the last fill. If the next fill takes much longer it will shut off the pump and sound an alarm.

8. Click Here!

9. tinctorus

tinctorus Feather Duster

thank you