ATTN Newbs and Old reefers alike....

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by geekdafied, Jun 25, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Thats exactly my point when I started this thread.

Im not going anywhere. 3reef is my home away from home, lol.

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  4. Boredm

Boredm Spaghetti Worm

Like i said, we'd be better off doing the research than asking for advice from people who think themselves better than the average.

5. Boredm

Boredm Spaghetti Worm

yea, I'm done with this. peace

6. shipbear

shipbear Bubble Tip Anemone

Like i said, we'd be better off doing the research than asking for advice from people who think themselves better than the average.

Well said Boredm.. but I also have to agree with Geek..

Like I said, with out this site I wouldn't have a reef tank..

But it's not to do with one person, but many..
    This is the best site, and I go to many.. Learning all I can..

Like someone once said...........
    There is no " I " in TEAM

And I thank everone that has helped me...
    And I think Geek helps make this Site what it is, And many more people..

Larry

7. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

Hey now! this is what I like to add to this thread; I browse the web for information on salt water tanks before, and found a lot of helpful info here! and people are always willing to help, now before I register I did also a lot of reading on my own, till I couldn't find a particular thing about mushrooms, so I register so I could ask, and a fellow reefer was rather rude than nice and told me that my post was out of the respective thread, in a hateful manner! so I thought, that's what I get for not watching where I post!!!! fine I know better now, so I post in the right thread, then another time, this same person was also rude to another noobie, I almost said something to him, but I let it slide. Now if geeks told some one to read before asking a question that's been answer many times before, I can't not blame him! because like Bogie mention, Matt has work on this site tremendously to keep up with the demands of reefers looking for answers, HAS any one remembers the times when it was down?? and if we going to have gigabites of nothing but the same question, he's work is pretty much in vain. Now they are many forums with less forgiving admins and moderators. however I don't think geeks said anything to offend any noobie, as I was told on my first post about my mushrooms...lol

8. Click Here!

9. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Hey that too cool qeek, I would like to read that one.... I had a run in with those little son of a birches a while ago, lost a really nice big piece of orange Monti.

10. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

Extremely good point! Thats what Full tank shots are for.:)
    Some one cant produce a pic of them by there own tank I pass them right by.

11. plop

plop Astrea Snail

I don't want to add any fuel to the fire but I know fist hand on how the common web surfer thinks (I/my company I work for, build/design websites for large/fortune 500 companies), and all these common consumers want is information right now with as little work as possible. Sure most of us somewhat savvy web users could find an answer to the general questions were looking for, but I think most of the casual users feel like an answer is more valid when it comes from a question directly asked by themselves.

Long story short there is a wealth of knowledge found here, and know one should hesitate for a second to ask any question, regardless the simplicity of it. I for one would never hesitate to help someone who shares the same interests.

To sort of loop back to my original point, the common web surfers are the most abundant people on the web, and we always have to adjust or functionality, and ease of use, to their needs.

12. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Well whatever, agree or disagree I think the original purpose of this thread was very arrogant. "Don't ask without first searching." (Paraphrasing)

Please. Get over yourself. Who are you to tell everyone how they should approach this hobby? If they don't want to search because they feel like their opinion is unique, then who are you to tell them otherwise?

You don't know it all and you are not the one to tell anyone how they should or should not ask questions.

Again, Aiptasia (like you affirmed that was a question nobody should ask, arrogant!!): First of all anyone new to the hobby wouldn't even know what to call it. Let me tell you a story ~Brandon1023 assumes the kindergarten teacher position, with his children-like students surrounding him~

I was a couple months into starting my aquarium. Wow, so many options, so many possibilities. A visit to my Local Fish Store (LFS) and my eyes opened with wonder. Passing by each fish tank, one by one, deciding on what I should buy, I finally happened upon something pretty cool looking. Attached to a rock was a brownish wavy thing. What is this? Just $5??? It's coooooool! I want it! "No you don't" said the store clerk. "That's just a joke, the tag. If you bought that your tank would be overrun with them in a matter of months. Your corals would suffer. Trust me, you don't want this"

Without a second thought, I passed it by of course. But what was it called? I was new to all this so with everything else on my mind, again I forgot. Certainly 3reef has information on this parasite. But being a new person I don't know what to call it.

Enter this thread:

Don't ask without first researching? Well....I don't remember what it was called! God now I feel STUPID! Forget this, I'll find a different forum. One that doesn't presume to imply that without the proper research, I shouldn't bother with my apparently stupid question. Hello reefcentral!

My point is that it's very egotistic to tell people (newbs especially, as I have originally said) that they should search before asking. If you want to ask a question without searching beforehand, then do it. Most of us do. Lots of us will. Don't let one person's arrogance steer you otherwise.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
    1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.