ATTN Newbs and Old reefers alike....

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by geekdafied, Jun 25, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

99 times out of 100 whatever your question is, you're more then likely not the first person to ask it. 3reef.com has a WEALTH of information, its been around since the late 90's. Try doing a search on 3reef before you ask a question. A lot of people don't like posting about the same thing week after week and sometimes a few times in one week. Google is also your friend. Type your question into Google and usually 3reef will show up there where somebody asked the exact same question as you.

Its good to ask questions, theres no such thing as a stupid question. Just do some research before you go asking them.

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

But the point of 3reef is to be completely helpful. I understand your argument but it also seems to be kind of...well as if the purpose of sites like these and others are to only answer a question a couple times, and then anyone new can just search it for themselves.

Newbies especially can be exempt from what you have to say. Not only are they new to the hobby, but probably new to the website and don't necessarily know about all the search options and what-not.

Besides, everyone's situation is DIFFERENT. It may be similar, but not everything can be applied like a blanket to everyone. A prime example is me; I basically run skimmerless and have been very successful with that method. Other people SWEAR by skimmers.

I think your post is a bit misleading and unnecessary.....

4. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

One more thing, especially for newbies (again), is that they might not know WHAT to Google. If they have questions about a sump, SPECIFIC questions for their UNIQUE situation, and they simply Google "sump," they are going to get a veritable plethora of results that they have no idea what to do with.

3reef is here to help, and that means it doesn't matter if we have to answer the same question over and over.

1 person likes this.
  5. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Brandon, if you reread my post, Im not telling anybody not to ask questions, all Im saying is to research before you ask. If you cant find the answer to your question, then by all means, ask away.

6. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I disagree with this post entirely. Sometimes, if a newbie asks a question that has been brought up several times before, the thread could go somewhere that none of the other threads did. For example, the kid who tossed 7 fish in a tank that hadn't cycled not too long ago. That thread went all over the place and has some pretty good information in it. I will be the first to say that I don't mind answering the same question over and over because personally that's what this site is all about.

7. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

So you 2 think that people should just ask questions and not doing any research for theirself??? Im trying to get people to think for theirself, do a little bit of leg work (or finger work). I wouldnt know nowhere near as much as I do if I didnt research things.

I guess Im just not a cow, I dont follow the herd. I like to think for myself and research different ways of doing things cause there is more then one way to do anything.

8. Click Here!

9. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

ya know, whats the point of even having a database on here to reference if its not going to be used? Thats a good way for Matt to save money, if everybody isnt going to do their own research, no need for a database server that goes back 10 YEARS worth of topics.

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Personally I think there is merit in what you are saying Geek.

If you find that you are not using search at all, you are missing out. At least, keep it in mind.

And yes, many questions have been answered and I have tried to organize the forum in a way that you can find answers to common questions. That was the motivation behind the algae board.

Searching is an important tool here.

1 person likes this.
  11. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Thank you for saying it better then I obviously could, haha!

12. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

I may be a little out of my turn here, being a newbie and all.... The best thing about this "club" (3reef) is that there are so many different points of views here; new users come aboard, just about every day with a band new look and feel for the hobby. Even thou the question may be the same old question that 3reef can answers in their sleep..We tend to talk about different topic on that same post well after we have answered the question. So no post is really the same.. That is just my newbie 2 cents

But databases space is costly…

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.