Attack of the Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by mdbostwick, May 21, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. flynhawaiianz28

flynhawaiianz28 Purple Spiny Lobster

Anyone else see the start of bubble algae in that one pic? Do you run any GFO or phosguard by chance?

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I wouldn't worry about testing.All I have to do is look in the tank.If there is algae then you are importing more then you are exporting.I do not see any bubble algae.I do see air bubbles in the cyano though.;)
    GFO,and other phosphate/nitrate adsorbers will help but wc's will as well.8)

4. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I don't think it's bubble. Just a side effect of the cyano.

5. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Bubble algae was the bane of my existence my first time around. So I know exactly what that looks like and if I saw any of that starting, I would pull the rock. I am not messing around with bubble algae again.

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I think that running some sort of phosphate reducing media is your best bet (GFO, phosguard). Doing regular water changes will help as well. I really don't think it's possible to run a completely algae free tank if you like to feed. Adding something to absorb the extra phosphate is a good way to go along with other things like reducing feeding, reducing lighting period, regular water changes, regular blowing off of detritrus, good flow.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I would be tempted to do a complete 3 day black out and reduce you're over all lighting periods afterwards. Cyano is prone to grow in areas of lower flow areas, maybe consider increasing flow or changing the flow pattern to the tank.

8. Click Here!

9. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

right now I have 2 inlets from my return pump in top left and right back corners. the water coming into the sump is running around 425 gph so that is what is coming through those. They are both pointed toward the front of the tank. then i have 1 wp20 set on else in the middle of the left panel pointed toward the top of the tank. I am working on gathering funds for a second one but don't have those funds available right now.

Is there another placement that may be better?

I did suck up as much as I could with my WC today and it looks a ton better.

I have cut back on feeding but i still don't know where all the nutrients are coming from especially since they are both showing 0 for nitrate and phosphates.

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Hi md :) popped in from the other thread. Now, the pics aren't showing :( updated pics would really help I think.