Attaching frags

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Malarky, Sep 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Here is how I attached a colt. Glue a cocktail spear to a rock.
    [​IMG]

Impale your frag.
    [​IMG]

Add back to tank
    [​IMG]

Let it grow. The "frag" is on the left. 6 months later.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

What a great idea!

4. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

5. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Thanks. It wasn't my original idea though. Came across it on the web. Glad I could share it though.

6. Malarky

Malarky Astrea Snail

I like that toothpick idea and will keep that in mind in the future. But here is a pic of where I am trying to get my kenya trees. I circle the actual tree frags in red. The rock that they are on is part of the bigger rock.

[​IMG]

7. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

Best thing to do with most softies is to just let them grow to a some rock rubble. I always place mine in my sump for a few days and they stick to a piece of rubble. works with all softies. never tried gluing them. Too slimy.

8. Click Here!

9. Pens-Fan-Addict

Pens-Fan-Addict Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

i as well attached mine with superglue gel. You can find it just about anywhere....grocery, home depot, lowes, office depot, walgreens, cvs, etc.

Good luck

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

where you want it doesn't have much to do with whether or not glue will hold it though dude... sorry.

What you can do is use one of the above mentioned methods using a small piece of rubble and glue the rubble rock where you want.

I found a piece of rubble with a hole through it and stuck a plastic cocktail sword through the softie and then through the hole in the rubble and then into the substrate. I let that sit for a week and then I moved the rubble piece to where I actually wanted it and removed the sword.

In your pic, it appears to me you are wanting this towards the top? IMO, these are better down low. Because they get kind of big (fast) and because they don't need much light... Personally, I save the higher areas for more light needy corals...

Also, you can find "Marine" epoxy at Home Depot and this works well. Comes in a tube with two nozzles. But it won't help attaching a kenya to a rock... but you can attach the rubble rock to the big rock with it.

good luck.

11. TROYBOY84

TROYBOY84 Feather Duster

+1 for the rubberband users. i also use the rubberband method

12. Malarky

Malarky Astrea Snail

I appreciate everyones help with this. I will be trying the rubber band method next (guessing rubber bands for braces). I would be trying the toothpick, but the kenya frag itself is so small that I would literally be cutting the frag in half if I tried to spear it. As far as placement, the spot in the pic is about halfway up my tank, I choose that place for asthetic reasons but I will definitely look at some lower parts in my tank.

Thanks again everyone for your help and hopefully I will get to a part soon enough to start helping others with their questions!