Attaching frags

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Jason McKenzie, Jun 18, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I have an ongoing battle with frags falling from were I put them I am using that aquarium apoxy that is sold at the LFS but after a few days the frag just falls off. it not like its in a high flow zone I think it's just when the Tang wips by.
    Any suggestions as to what to use instead of the apoxy?

Jason

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Some use super glue. Others use rubber bands I think. Did you see this link in the links library?

http://www.globaldialog.com/~jrice/propagation/propagate.htm

He liked the gel he was using, perhaps you can get that...

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Thanks Matt,
    I had heard of the Super Glue Gel before I just don't like the idea. I'm the type of guy who glues his fingers together when I use that stuff [smiley=Looking.gif]. Also I'm trying to attach it to a large load bearing rock, so what ever I do it has to remain in the tank. I will give it a try.

Jason

5. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

This is a good topic right now for me. My tang and blenny was always knockin my green/pink polyps off and yesterday i found them laying in the sand. The only thing is they are ripped off the rock and there is no rock to glue. I hope they survive there is that pink rubbery mat that it grows. Is it safe to put the glue right on the bottom of the coral, i never used it. With no rock attached i have to keep it in a real low current since theres no weight to keep it down. It was growin good where i had it to thats what sucks.

6. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Check out garf.org , they've been using super glue for years, and thet've compiled a list of good ones/bad ones. Plus they've got info on propigating just about anything. I personally use super glue for stonies & gorgonians, and with softies/mushrooms and such I use bridal vail (tulle) drapped over them and secured either by rubber bands of super glue. When putting something over the frag, make sure its not to tight, just enough pressure to hold it there (remember polyp expsansion). I just picked up a bunch of tulle yesterday, mushroom rock always arrive with loose polyps floating around, I put them back on the origanl piece and secure them in place, or make new rocks.

7. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i will check that out hopefully i can get my polyps reattached to someting