ATS - Algae Turf Scrubber

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Matt Rogers, Oct 16, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Does he have one of the ones pictured here? (In the 2nd post?)

2. Click Here!

3. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

The only problem I can see with that is you will get algae growth all over the sump because of the light.It would work but you would be cleaning up allot more algae then you probably want.

4. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

its the same shape and design only bigger and its made out of fiberglass with a plexiglass top. I don't think it has a built in light though like the one in the pic.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Nice. Check it out sometime and post pics. :)

6. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

That's a good point. I suppose you could block the light somehow if necessary.

7. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

I thought about doing the same thing. My sump is set up the same way yours is with the drain running over the sump. What I was going to do is to put the ATS over top of the refugium. I wouldn't care about the light spilling over there because its already being lit up.

Since when is algae in the sump bad anyway? No one looks down there except for me. All it would be doing is eating ammonia/nitrites/nitrates

I am not going to replace my skimmer either, just an add on here as well. And if it does turn out to yellow my water, I can run a UV filter.

I am assuming your drain is PVC as well? It would be really easy to do I think. You could get a saddle T to adapt it onto your existing pipe, a short piece of pipe, a cap for the end, and the screen and its done. Then if you don't like it you can just cut it off and cap it at the T. I can't see what harm there would be in trying it.

8. Click Here!

9. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

I've got one planned for my new 160 plywood tank. It'll probably be up and running hopefully by the end of january so i'll be able to give more feed back about this when the time comes. Sounds cheap. You guys should give it a go.

10. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

How do you see your fish in a plywood tank? ;D

JK. I looked at your thread for the answer lol.

I am seriously thinking about building one. It wouldn't be hard. I can easily get all of the supplies at a good price (I work at a hardware store). It wouldn't take long to build it, probably about 2 hours max. I would only need to leave the pump off long enough to drain the overflow, drill one hole, and one glue joint to dry (1-2 minutes).

11. SantaMonica

SantaMonica Fire Shrimp

12. chadjwil

chadjwil Astrea Snail

I am in the process of building one of these right now. It's prety much SantaMonica's 5 gal bucket design, but due to space concerns under my stupid round stand I had to downsize a little.

Was wondering...SantaMonica had said that he was getting increases in some compounds that he cured by feeding more. Has this made anyone rethink the sq. inches per gallon of the screen? Would love to hear from anyone about this before I start construction, probably this week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.