ATS(algae turf scrubber)

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Mikeyb, May 12, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Are you planning an "upflow" design or waterfall, floating ?
    It's been a while since I read up but I think the waterfall types have fallen out of favor.

2. Click Here!

3. Mikeyb

Mikeyb Bristle Worm

I was thinking of waterfall haven't heard of the floating one, and I don't think I could do the upflow one, unless you have some ideas on it. money is very limited and I am trying to work with what I have.

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Well. . Since you don't have a sump.. I'm not really sure where you would put the rubbermaid tub idea. To me that sounds like a sump. Many people use the tubs as their sump. If you are not going to have the tub or something under the tank you could put an upflow hang on glass ATS in the display tank. It sounds ugly but I'm not sure where else to put it without a sump.
    HOG.5 Hang-On-Glass UAS Upflow Algae Scrubber - 1/2 Cube feeding per day - MAGNET VERSION
    Do you have a stand with space underneath? Is that where you keep the Canister?
    Depending on the tank you could have a false wall in the back that has the sump in the tank. Not sure what you 've go there .. Pictures are worth a thousand words.

An upflow design like in the link would be very easy to make. He made the early ones with two black TV micro wave dinner trays.
    All you need is a screen an air pump and tubing.

5. Mikeyb

Mikeyb Bristle Worm

The tank sits on its stand, and the tub I guess would be the sump, but I wanted to use the canister to pump the water onto the algae scrubber then have a return pump in the tote to run back to the tank, if that would even be posibble

6. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Hmm. Not sure. I guess I would have to see pics of the plan. Sounds like a potential flood situation. Depends on how it's done. Best to have a straight unobstructed pipe coming down from the aquarium. Return pump going up and split that line to where some water comes back to go over the ATS. But If I were you and this is the route you for sure want to go I would get an air pump and build an upflow or floating design.
    Air pump $5:
    Whisper 10 Aquarium Air Pump - 10 Gallons | thatpetplace.com

7. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

I still prefer waterfalls as far filtration power. With a waterfall, you can have MUCH higher flow rates, and thus more nitrate removal than you can with an air pump powered up-flow scrubber. Some people have had success with them though.

8. Click Here!

9. Mikeyb

Mikeyb Bristle Worm

Sorry with this crappy internet, its gives me trouble uploading images, I will try to explain in better detail. My canister filter will remove water from DT and instead of having it return the water after filtering it, it will return the water to the ATS in the sump, from the sump I will have a return pump to feed it back to the DT.

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Will NOT work.Pumps would have to be moving EXACTLY the same ammount of water which is hard if not impossible to achieve.