ATO problem

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by willist0, Dec 4, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Windy

Windy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I think an ATO would work real well in a toilet, then we can get rid of all of those flapper valves. We could use it to fill to different levels for custom flushes.

Vinnyboombatz and mikejrice like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I went thru 3 aqualifters- I was using them to keep negative pressure on the top loop of one of my old HOB overflows- as a sort of safety net to keep the siphon from stopping.
    At first they worked fine, but after a a while- no more negative pressure.
    Luckily- it didn't need it anyways, so I took it off and plugged it the line, and it never lost siphon.

It was supposed to be pulling any air out of the top loop, and water too at a slow rate.
    Well- I eventually gave them away to a fellow reefer.

I'm certainly no authority, nor have I kept any stats. I have read of many of them eventually failing or dropping way off- after a realtively short time. They do make a rebuild kit for the diaphragm that apparently many people use to rebuild one- fairly easy to do I'm told- not much $ either.

What ever you decide- I wish you years of maintenace free use!

PS- A well built, plastic float valve- placed above the waterline is essentially as bullet proof as it gets.
    I realize not everyone has the ability to use gravity as I do in relation to resevoirs, etc.
    I like the fact that my Ro/DI also keeps my resevoir where I want it 24/7- without having to refill anything-
    with no electric power, pumps, or sensors- Oh My!

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Not my site just one I found with a few reviews.8- 1 star reviews actually but mostly positive.

P.S. Float valves can and do fail all the time.Google it.I suggest keeping the reservoir small enough so that when a failure occurs you don't kill everything in your tank.Now that is what I call bulletproof.:)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    mikejrice likes this.
  5. Windy

Everything fails eventually, but a simple low pressure float valve will cycle many more times without failure then two electrical switches and a sensor. By the way, I did a search for float valve failures and there was little data. One point is to buy a good quality valve, and change it every 5-6 years.
    So, most of the information you get from a forum like this is not accurate or useful.

6. Vinnyboombatz

Well this guy knows a little something about water systems.IME most of the float valve failures I have seen are when something like a snail or debris causes them to stick.Information gained from a forum is really no different then information gathered anywhere.Its as good as the person giving it.;)

AZ -Having been in the water production and treatment industry for over 38 years I have seen way too many floats fail. They are really no differenty than a toilet float, evaporative cooler float or pool self levelling float and they fail all the time.

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Oh Brother

If the valve mechanism is out of the water line, and it is a very bouyant, rather large float,
    It's next to impossible for a critter, or debris to affect the valves I'm using, and the way I'm using them.
    Yes ANYTHING can fail. I'll stay with my system, and hope others find a system that doesn't 'stick' somehow, lower the SG, and/or flood the area of the tank.

It's all good, dozens of ways to skin a cat

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Sorry if my facts irritate you Todd.lol I am not arguing with you.I said if I were to ever use an ATO your type system is what I would choose. I was merely pointing out that there is still a weak link in the float valve you are relying upon. I have found a system that is more reliable. My float valve NEVER sticks, I have never flooded my house,or lowered my salinity.☺

Windy I am sorry if you don't feel like the information on this site is accurate or useful; I disagree.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  10. Windy

Well I am having trouble with my wheelchair, and I post that I need help fixing it. You answer, just walk!

11. Vinnyboombatz

What's wrong with your wheelchair? Maybe I can help? I like helping.Its very rewarding.☺

DSC reef likes this.
  12. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Vinny Said-' My float valve NEVER sticks, I have never flooded my house,or lowered my salinity.☺'

Mine hasn't either- and NO salinity drops, and no flooded tanks!

It's all good vinny, I'm glad I've built a simple/inexspensive/powerless ATO that works so well for me.
    YOu mileage may vary- Don't try this at home!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.