ATO Decision

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Droopster, Aug 30, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Droopster

Droopster Fire Worm

So I have been putting a lot of thought into the automation for my 75. which is now fully cycled. but before I get ahead of myself and make things more difficult I need a new ATO. Ive pretty much narrowed it down to two systems.
    1: Go with a Tried and independent system the JBJ. or....
    2: add on to my Reef Keeper lite. and use its ATO feature.

Having an ATO on a system separate from my controller seems like it could be an extra fail safe in case something went screwy on the RKL. but on the other hand the JBJ could malfunction some how on its own while the RKL keeps on working.
    The other factor in this dilemma is that I have been looking to expand my reef keeper to add a PH probe in case I want to run a reactor in the future (and for every day monitoring) So its about $80 to add the monitoring module, and then $40 for the Float switch (+ more for a PH probe), VS the $80 for just the JBJ. I have to buy one or other so I was looking to justify expanding the RKL but I need to look at this objectively to see the pros and cons of each.

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Pro's of automation-When it works.Its awesome.:D
    Con's- When it doesn't.It stinks.:(

Mr. Bill and mdbostwick like this.
  4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I still like my DIY ATO system best.
    Very inexspensive
    No electricity required
    No pumps,
    No sensors to fail, etc

Requires Gravity, a resevoir, and at least one suitable float valve.

5. Droopster

Droopster Fire Worm

Todd, I like the way you think. I agree, less complicated is often better, but If I understand how yours works (correctly) I don't think I have the room for that type of system. Good gawd I wish I had a fish room. haha.

6. APC

APC Gigas Clam

I use my Apex controller for my ATO. I feel like I have more visibility and "control" that way. My Apex is on line. I can look at it anytime from anywhere. it logs when the ATO turns on and off. It e-mails me if there is a problem. Apex has the flexibility to have multiple fail safes - I have one float switch that tells the ATO to turn on. I run a pump for 15 seconds and then it turns off. The water level never changes that way (or the changes are very very small). I have another float switch set at a higher level in the sump that will kill the whole ATO if it is triggered (in case the other switch gets stuck on and continues to cycle on and off)...this will prevent a massive dilution of the tank...and finally I have a switch in my ATO tank at the bottom - in case the water level gets too low - to prevent the pump from blowing out. The fact that the controller monitors these things - and alerts me when there is a problem (remotely via e-mail and an app) is the main thing for me. I travel a lot for work - so don't get to check in on my tank personally every day.

Plus - controllers are expensive - so use as much as you can so you get more bang for your buck! :)

7. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I had a JBJ and then bought floats and now use my Apex. I like being able to control everything from one interface. I like not grabbing cords when I have wet hands and I forgot to shut down my ATO when I'm right in the middle of a water change.

With anything mechanical, controlled or not, it's going to need to be checked and maintained. monthly checks of the floats to ensure they're still working, no salt creep or snail shell or whatever. It doesn't stop at floats, plumps, lights, switches... it all needs a check, if not once a year.

Failures never happen saturday morning when you're right there with your tools and towels. It's at 2:30 on the first day of your vacation but you won't know it until you get back... or your friend shows up in two days.

Sometimes life get's in the way. I rushed to hook up a reactor, late at night... didn't get a chance to fix that one tiny leak and now it's still there, just with a bucket next to it. Hopefully tonight I'll be able to take it apart and put it back together.

That's why I like to have as much as I can controlled. I think it's a good way to watch your system and help you understand your entire system better. It's only as good of a controller as you use it. I still could use some more alarms, but I keep putting em off...

I know of some people who tried the apex route but then gave it up. It's not for everyone. He decided he didn't trust his system to something he couldn't fully understand. I almost started in with a detailed response of this and that. But, I thought that he probably knew the benefits, just didn't want to use it. No big deal. So, it's also just as much on the type of person who is using the controller as well.

:D

8. Click Here!

9. Droopster

Droopster Fire Worm

Well Thanks everyone for the input. I've decided to expand my Reef Keeper, and use it for my ATO. I ordered the Module and floats last night. This of course will lead to more dents in my wallet down road as I will now want to add ALL the THINGS o_O

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I am thinking about switching from the JBJ to the Smart ATO. My JBJ over fills and underfills for some reason.

11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

My DIY ATO, trickles my RO DI water in only as needed. When I rarely ever would like to adjust my sump level some- I simply adjust the float that controls it.

MY resevoir also trickles in to keep it at the desired level with a float in there.
    No electricity power, pumps, sensors- WORKS WITHOUT BACKUP IN A POWER OUT!
    The resevoir is fed by a line from my RO/DI
    Never any filling anything, etc.
    My SG stays spot on 35 (=1.0265)

12. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Do you have a thread devoted to your ATO? If you do I would really like a good look at how yours is set up? I am not sure I would be able to work out the gravity feed do to the space I have to work with but am interested to see if it could work.