ATI's New Dimmable T5 SunPower Aquarium Lamp

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, May 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

2. Click Here!

3. toua

toua Flamingo Tongue

this looks sweet, i was considering the aquaticlife t5's but the ati's look amazing compared to the aquaticlifes.

4. RubberSideDown

RubberSideDown Astrea Snail

Has anyone tried this yet?

I'm running an 85 gallon (Fluval Osaka) mixed reef. The 8-bulb setup would completely cover the top of my tank with lights, which sounds pretty awesome... BUT... is it possible to "over light?"

The top of the tank is 18" and the 8-bulb is 17.5" - anyone see anything wrong with this?

5. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

I don't really see a problem with this, but it likely overkill. Your gonna get a lot of light bleeding over the edges. A buddy of mine uses one of these or a mixed reef 24" tall tank, and its almost too much light tbh.

Just my 2 cents though!

6. RubberSideDown

RubberSideDown Astrea Snail

Great point about the light bleeding over. That would probably be annoying. The 6-bulb is still on the menu though! :)

7. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

Yah, I am looking at snagging the 6 bulb also. Kinda torn between the ATI and the new AI Phoenix. Well see when it gets launched!

8. Click Here!

9. clarkkey594

clarkkey594 Aiptasia Anemone

It could also trap too much heat inside of the tank and cause massive temperature/cooling issues.

10. toua

toua Flamingo Tongue

i saw this fixture at MACNA 2011, it looks really good. i too was going to go with the aquatic life fixture but this unit looks alot better imo. i will be getting the ATI fixture for my next build with supplemental LED lighting. the rep i talked to did say that the dimming will impact bulb life, any bulb will be fine but they recommend the ATI bulbs, and that you should run your bulbs for 48 hours before using the dimming features. just thought i'd share incase anyone was interested.