ATI LED/T5 Powermodule Hits USA in March

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Feb 25, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Shimmer does not always show on video! Even on my tank

2. Click Here!

3. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

That is true. But I am not trying to burst your bubble, I am just sharing my experience from what I've seen. I also have a fixture over my frag tank that has 3 36" T5's and 12 3w blue Crees, and there is no shimmer when everything is on.

I want this new ATI fixture as well. But I was just not wanting people to think it will have the same shimmer as MH or LED only fixtures.

4. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

If I may ask, why do you want it? Right now I'm inclined to buy a dimmable t5. What makes this better? What makes it more than twice the price better? I'm really just curious at this point.

5. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

As far as a PAR estimate, which would be greater here?

2x 400W MH/Lumen Max Elite Reflectors (800W)
    -or-
    48" ATI LED/8x54W T5HO (Roughly 650W)

6. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

This is a quote from above.

The ATI LED Powermodule features 75W LED clusters, each with a full spectrum white, blue, royal blue and red LED color channels that can be independently programmed using computer-based control software and are capable of 0-100% dimming. The active cooling system allows lights to run at a more optimal temperature for improved output and bulb-life. And the heavy-duty, curved housing conceals all components, except for the LED power supply.

I would want this fixture mainly because who makes it. All ATI fixtures are run on overdriven high quality ballasts and have the best quality reflectors on the market. So from just the T5 standpoint alone that makes their old model fixtures along with this new fixture something to consider. The PAR from the T5's will be higher than 90% of what else is offered in the industry. And then it's the option of dimmable T5 plus the dimmable control features from the LEDs. To be able to program from my computer the dusk dawn effect from the T5's will be amazing not to mention the color pop and shimmer from the LED's once the T5's go down. It's everything you could want in one fixture IMO.

7. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Max PAR will be the MH. But overall output has too many variables to consider. Real world performance would bring in another set variables that IMO, cannot be ignored.

8. Click Here!

9. Servillius

Fair enough. As for me, I'll get me an ATI t5 only fixture. I have much good to say about LED, but after 2 years of fighting to get things right with top quality LED's, watching my tank just thrive within 3 weeks of switching to t5's was enough for me.

LED's are not the problem. They produce light like anything else. I, the user, lack sufficient information to use the highly programable devices properly. The t5 manufacturers have done the research for me. If I'm going to give up on LED, I don't feel the best choice for me is to give up half way.

10. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

If you are not depending on the LED's for PAR and growth, why wouldnt you want what LEDs bring with shimmer and color pop?

11. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

I'm glad someone sees the beauty in this like me!

12. Servillius

Two reasons. 1) Something about LED's has caused me grief that went away with t5s. While I don't know what it is, half the grief is not better than none. Its a personal experience and maybe I'll be less sour in future, but right now I'm not happy with LED's, and 2) Price.