Astrick117's 46 Gallon Bow Front Reef Build

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Astrick117, Nov 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Well, my tank is now cycling. Below is my aquascape- though I'm not sure if I'm happy with it. I think I am going to try to re-arrange it/ add more rock. I just really want to have one side that is more open and also lots of archways/ holes through the rock that fish can swim.

Let me know your thoughts!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Well, it has been awhile, but the tank is finally fully cycled. I changed the aquascape a bit since my last post and will have to get some pics up.

I have also started to add my CUC. I just put 4 hermits in last night and the full gamut of snails, crabs, pods,etc. are supposed to arrive tomorrow- a big thanks to reefcleaners!

As part of their awesomeness, they were also selling penny gorgonians, so I figured why not... I'm probably going to put in it my 30g, until my bowfront is a bit more established though.

4. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Time for an update!

It has been a while since I posted anything about my tank, but its doing really well! I got a 30g set-up from a friend that had to move to Canada for work and have now moved all of his fish and corals to join mine.

This week I also picked up a few new frags:
    • Branching Hammer Coral- 2 1/2 heads (its splitting)
    • Eagle eye zoas
    • Dragon eye zoas
    • Red mushroom
    • Watermelon mushroom

It's taking a little bit of time, but it has definitely come a long way in the few short months that I have had it up and running.

The next step is an upgrade to a 36" quad T5 fixture with 2 ATI Blue+, 1 ATI Aquablue Special, and a KZ Fiji Purple.

I should also get a better camera- phone pics just don't do it justice.

Attached Files:

5. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Going to pick up a quad 36" Current Sundial T5 tonight for $125! Coral growth here I come!

6. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Well, I have been working through my light acclimation and my new bulbs finally arrive tomorrow after a blunder with UPS. BUT...I just got my 10 new frags from saltcritters today:

1 x Farmed Red/Orange Montipora capricornis
    2 x Mystery Coral (looks to be some type of zoa, but it hasn't opened yet- aka its still a mystery lol)
    1 x Farmed Neon Green Maze
    1 x Farmed Whopper Zoanthids
    1 x Dragon's eye favia Frag
    1 x Yellow brick road war coral Frag
    1 x Bazinga Acan Frag
    1 x Coitus Acan Frag
    1 x Dragon Soul Prism Favia Frag
    1 x Aussie Moon Splatter Frag

They look incredible and I have to say although the dragon's soul favia is pretty sick, my favorite has to be the Aussie Moon Splatter. I don't have to tell you which one it is in the attached pics. The colors are so bright and the patterns are very unique. Can't wait to get my ATI's and KZ on them!

The first pic is: (first row, from left to right) Coitus Acan Frag, Aussie Moon Splatter Frag, Yellow brick road war coral Frag, Bazinga Acan Frag, Farmed Neon Green Maze (back row from left to right) Dragon Soul Prism Favia Frag, Dragon's eye favia Frag

Second: Close-up

Third: Red/ Orange Monti Cap

Last but not least I added my extra maxi jet 1200 for some extra flow. I've been fighting some cyano and with the monti now in the tank, I need to get things moving a bit.

Attached Files:

7. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Figured I would follow a fellow 46gallon build thread. Looks good any updated pictures?

8. Click Here!

9. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Yep! Tomorrow...

I am getting my shipment of frags from saltcritters tomorrow and I will be taking pictures after they are in the tank. I will also make sure I get some images of my new midas blenny too!

10. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

And now some updated pics!

Tank Overview:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My New Midas Blenny!
    [​IMG]

Some Close-ups
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Oh, and my new HOB Refugium!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

Looks good man, keep it going! Wait till them frags grow for you, youll have a cramped tank in no time! lol Full is probably the better word, lol.

12. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Thanks! The finger leather that I have was just 1" round when I got it about 6 months ago and now it's about 3-4" wide.

I actually just got the deal of the century from saltcritters today and I just put them in before I took the picks, so they weren't open yet.

• 4 Various 30-40 polyp zoa colonies
    • a reverse prism favia (6 mouths)
    • xmas tree favia (3 mouths)
    • 3 random acans
    • an unknown favia (purple and orange)
    • yellow sea whip (1 "finger")

I got all of it for only $110 shipped! I can't wait to get pics up after they finally open- hopefully tomorrow.