Astrick117's 46 Gallon Bow Front Reef Build

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Astrick117, Nov 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Hey Everyone,

I have decided to take the plunge and upgrade my 24g aquapod to a more respectable 46g bow front. I don't have a ton of money to put into it, but I have decided to sell my other equipment and tanks to fund the new one. Additionally, I am pretty thrifty on CL and will be purchasing almost everything used. Here's what I have so far:

• 46g Bow Front Tank, Matching Stand, Glass Tops, Marine Land Emperor 400 HOB Filter, Crushed Coral (will be washed)- $200
    • Coralife 36" T5HO Light Fixture and Bulbs (10,000K and Actinic- both less than 3 months old)- $65
    • Hydor Koralia 750- $20
    • 30 lbs of Dry Rock from Reef Cleaners- $69
    • Aqua C Remora HOB Protein Skimmer- $100
    • 25 lbs Live Rock- transfer from my aquapod
    • MaxiJet 400 powerhead- transfer from my aquapod

I really don't want to have to deal with a sump (especially since I have zero experience with them), so I am going with HOB for everything.

Items I still need:
    • 200W Heater (any suggestions?)
    • Potential HOB Refugium
    • Another Powerhead
    • 1 ATI Blue+ and 1 ATI Blue Special Bulb to replace the others

Is there anything I am missing? I will upload pictures soon, just not sure if it will be tomorrow or this coming weekend.

Let me know what you guys think.

2. Click Here!

3. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

At a first glance, it looks like you have everything to get started. What do you have for live stock already?

4. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

I have 2 paired ocellaris clowns, a firefish, and a cleaner shrimp, plus my CUC of 1 emerald crab, hermit crabs, nassarius, nerite, and margarita snails.

I also have a bunch of soft corals: blue and devil's armor zoas, green hairy mushrooms, ricordia, finger leather, pulsing xenia.

5. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Well, I just sold my 55g freshwater set-up on Tuesday, so I now have room to start setting up the 46g saltwater in it's place. My dry rock should be arriving by Friday and then i can final start putting things in place.

I have never seeded dry rock before, but I am assuming I just need to introduce a small live rock to the system to get the cycle going, then add my lovely shrimp pieces?

6. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

I just started a 26 gal bow front and am seeding about 25 lbs of dead rock with 5 lbs of live rock. After a week I already started seeing growth on the dead rock.

7. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Well, I have hit the dreaded time of year where I have back-to-back-to-back business trips each week, so it looks my set-up schedule will be pushed back a little.

The good news is that I did receive my dry rock last Friday and have already rinsed it, so it is ready to go. A big thanks to reefcleaners! I asked for a unique assortment of rocks and they delivered- quickly too!

I am hoping I have time after getting back on Thursday to actually get it in a nice formation. I'm thinking it might be nice to do a large sloping "reef wall" on one side of the tank and have the other portion more open.

I also just bought my heater- I'm going with a Fluval E 200W. They got great reviews on amazon and I really like the idea of the easy read temperature light and the guard.

Amazon.com: Fluval E 200-Watt Electronic Heater: Pet Supplies

I promise that pictures will be coming soon, I just haven't had time to really do much with it and the time I do have has been spent actually working on it (selfish, i know) ;D

8. Click Here!

9. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

ive seen a few guys make a hob fuge/sump out of a modified hob filter....talk to nano mano i think hes the one i saw that made it

10. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Alright Everyone,

Despite traveling to all reaches of the US, I now have some pictures for you! Hope you enjoy!

My plan is to set up the rock structure tonight and then begin filling it, so I should have some more pictures coming soon.

Attached Files:

11. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

Looks like some nice rock! I just received my CUC from reef cleaners and am waiting on my rock to get here.

Love my bow, hope you enjoy yours. Looking forward to seeing the aqua scape.

12. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

Looking good so far! Be sure to take some pictures of that new scape! As far as the pod piles you were asking about.. You can see a few pics of some rubble piles I have. Another idea I got off someone here.. Go to walmart or wherever and get a little shower caddy.. Its a little clear soap dish kinda deal with suction cups and slits all around the side. I have one placed in a corner of my tank that I filled with a ball of cheato. I sealed off the top with some window screen and zip ties, so that no fish can get inside it. There's a million little critters in the chaeto, which also works as a natural water filter. You could even hide it behind your scape a little. I bought mine at walmart for like 5 bucks and a ball of chaeto off ebay for like 2 bucks.. I definitely attribute some of my mandarins/tanks success to that. Anyways, keep us updated!