Asterina Outbreak

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by omard, Nov 9, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nemo 2

Nemo 2 Bristle Worm

F%#^ not good then i guess.maybe its some of the good guys.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I feel your pain Scott.
    In my situation, I never felt like I could outright conclude that they were 100% harmful, but those pics I took on the Montipora Digi's sure gave me pause. After that I removed them as soon as I saw them.

At least they are easy to remove as they seemed to like to go on the glass in my tank. Too bad Trigger fish aren't reef safe. heh.

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Yep, they like the glass, so pretty easy to sweep up when a outbreak occurs.

Last time I looked in overflow, it was downright scary how many were in there.

Those I really don't mind. Not going to bother any one even if they don't eat corals.

& and who knows they may be doing something beneficial.

As the "waves" of them occur over long time periods, I really do think something is feeding on the offspring. And only once in a while does the repoduction get ahead of whoever it is. :-/

Scott

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah I didn't worry about the ones in the overflow either but now that I think about.. might be worth investigating how they reproduce in case the ones in the overflow can manage to get something back into the tank. Seems unlikely with impeller pumps and such. But who knows.