Asphur Angel has pop eye, what do I do?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by marlinman, Apr 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Yrs ago I had my First LFS about 1971 I was the first to carry marine fish and larger angels where all the rage then. I lost many to the infection they tend to succumb to.. a customer/friend and my family Dr used to buy from me and he came in one night to say his Queen angel was infected and how did the entire shipment look , I told him I had lost several he went to his car brought in a bottle of penicillin and said here threat them.. I was then of the mind set that the antibiotic would wipe out the filtration bacteria.. He said watch and tossed in several next day the fish as you saw was so much better and in a week all where 100% I have heard the rumors still about them But I also find the meds to do wonders for corals also .. But still the books say it will kill everything ??? . O'well I know what I know from real world experiences nothing I read and I'm happy for you .. and always keep the meds on hand ..

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Just rambling off the top of my head:
    If I remember right from basic corpsman stuff, the common anti-bacterial medications out there like penicillin and eurythromyacin (the main ingredient in Maracyn Plus), target mostly gram-positive bacteria's (like the common infections both us and our fish get). The bacterial colonies responsible for the nitrogen cycle are vastly gram-negative bacteria, and should remain for the most part unharmed.
    The anti-bacterial medications could also, in theory, work wonders on cyano, which is also a gram-positive bacteria. Of course this is just my own reasoning ;) I would actually like to see someone like PharmrJohn weigh in on this, he would know a lot more about the science behind it.

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Ding Ding Ding Johnny we have a winner please tell packmn what he has won LOL You nailed it sir , This is why I shake my head when the book experts all cry it will kill the tanks bio bacterial colonies LOL And watch people who read that carp allow their money to go into the toilet or trash. A corpsman you say man I love you guys :) and the old dust off pilots ..

5. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Wow! What an incredible thread this turned into. I finished the third treatment and all my fish and coral look great! Amazing product. Thank you one and all!