As reefers, concering RO water specifically, are we wasteful?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Brandon1023, Jan 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

It does generate a lot of waste water but there's not a whole lot you can do. If you buy the water from the grocery store you're probably impacting the environment even worse since the water is trucked there. So you have the consumption of fossil fuels and generation of greenhouse gasses from the exhaust. Who knows how much waste is generated by the filters used to generate the grocery store water too. If you buy bottled water you also have to take into account the plastic waste and the fossil fuels used to create it.

I'll stick with the RO and make an effort to get in and out of the shower quicker.

2. Click Here!

3. awa1979

awa1979 Astrea Snail

I am at times concerned about the waste created, I live in an apartment so I have no need for the waste water or anywhere to store it, so it goes down the drain.

Luckily water is free from the tap, not metered so it doesn't cost a fortune.

4. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

It is not wasted at all if it goes in a drain, drain water goes back to the municipal water works to be filtered and returned to you.

5. lexdiamond20

lexdiamond20 Astrea Snail

OK...what do you do? Also, can the waste water just be used for my FW tank? Ive heard they benefit from the additives in tap water.

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

When I was a kid (about 11 or 12) a buddy and I discovered an easy way to get into the sewers of our neighborhood. So we went through them until we found the rain gutter in front of my house. (It's a different system than where sink water goes). We then followed these tunnels and lo and behold, there was a giant outlet into a bayou right behind our middle school. It was there all along and we didn't know.

So we thought it would be fun to follow the bayou and see where it went.

In the end, we arrived at Lake Houston (man-made reservoir).

It was also at that point that I realized how wrong it is to pour motor oil or what not down the storm drain! (several people on my street did that back then)

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

A few variables Temp and pressure mostly But good R/O product water should on average run at about 4 to 5 gallons of waste for every gallon you keep. Kold sterile has no waste water ..:) And cost about maybe less to maintian..when you figure in the water water you are paying for then its far less expensive and eco green , friendly if you are into that sort of mind set ?

8. Click Here!

9. awa1979

awa1979 Astrea Snail

It was the same in So. California well still is, the storm drains go straight into the ocean untreated. They were painting dolphins at the opening to encourage people to think before dumping toxic chemicals into the drains. (not legal)

At least the sewer system is treated before being dumped into the ocean.

10. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I treat with prime then run it through heavy carbon filtering for 48 hours before mixing/topping off with. I really have no idea with the FW

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Only if you want a tank full of primordial soup tank ?That waste water is saturated with every metal and mineral that you don't want in a tank.

12. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

There we go.....I was looking to see if anyone had posted this answer. You beat me to it. Yup, not wasted. It is recycled. If it doesn't go to you, it goes to the ground and becomes a part of the Earth's water cycle. The only thing wasted is money. If you use it for your lawn or laundry or whatever, that is good, but no more green than letting it go down the drain IMO. Unless, of course, I am missing something. Which happens more and more as I progress into my 40s!!!!;D