artifical fish colors

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by nickthelionfish, Apr 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Yes Sir, I have 5 freshwater tanks, 3 Cichlid and 2 Community. Then I have the 150 reef, so 6 total!!!

2. Click Here!

3. nickthelionfish

nickthelionfish Astrea Snail

awesome i hope to someday have my own salt water tank not just going off my step fathers but there is two salt tanks and two fresh the biggest salt is 75 gallon and at my fathers house there is a 55 gallon fresh water fresh water is so much easier but not as cool looking or entertaining as salt water

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

wrong wrong wrong! glofish arent dyed they are genetically modified, there offspring will have the same colors as the parents.(sorry i used to get in arguments with a lfs keeper about this)
    GloFish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

but there are dyed fish out there nick.
    no these arent fruity pebbles. these are dyed parrot fish
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

glass fish are colored too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

im not gonna pretend the main problem with this isnt the cruelty of tattooing the fish because the fish hobby in itself is probably cruel to catch a wild fish and keep them traped in a glass cage with dirty water. the problem is that most of the fish that get this done are have a weakened immune system for life and are more likely to die on you and carry infections into your tank. also the colors fade with time

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  5. nickthelionfish

nickthelionfish Astrea Snail

wow i cant believe im not no animal wildlife save the great green earth guy no offense to those of you who are but thats messed up they need a natural enviroment to make them happiest and able to live a natural life

6. LVsuckerfish

LVsuckerfish Fire Shrimp

one of the lfs here in vegas carries what he calls the I love you parrot chiclids same as the photo above with a heart I was told that was tattooing though.

7. surfnthreef

surfnthreef Flamingo Tongue

Thats not cool!!! Only fish that drive Harley's should get tattoos!#!@%^$

8. Click Here!

9. Sco-tie

Sco-tie Bristle Worm

there actually arent any animal cruelty laws towards fish unless they are in a study or within a government of university organisation. i.e you can do anything to any fish you cant at home but if you are doing it through the government of university study then they will bring in animal cruelty laws towards it.

i know its a pretty dodgey system but thats how it goes

10. harlife

harlife Plankton

Its all true many FW fish are dyed. A LFS here in Toronto took a few tetras and dyed them blue and called them Maple Leaf tetras (our Hockey team) and dyed another batch a purple color and called them Raptor Tetras (our Basketball team its pretty sad.....There are difernt ways they do this. Most dyed fish that are all one color are dipped in a solution that strips ther protective coat and then dipped in a dyed soloution of what ever color. Dyed fish that are half color say half of fish is dyed a color is through a needle injection. There are even reports a some hotel chains in China that have a website or phone number that is on a arrowana in a tank in there lobby as a form of advertising. The newest thing I have read about it lately is a type of pattern say tattoo looking fish. I posted a pic. The only thing is if the fish is lucky enough to live through the dye process and kept in a healthy tank after a couple of years or so (somtimes longer) the color will fade away.

Attached Files:

11. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Just go saltwater and get naturally colorful fish. Don't dye or tat freshy's.

12. Jane Fury

Jane Fury Plankton