arrgh laterite cloud!!! what a mess..

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Tanks' started by Ellie, May 23, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ellie

Ellie Plankton

Hey guys

I finally got my 180g going last thursday...rinsed the gravel till my hands were raw, rinsed the laterite and added it to the bottom third of the gravel, then went and added the water. The mess is terrible, the water is so cloudy I can barely see a thing. Guess I didnt rinse the laterite enough hey?

I replaced the sponge in my internal filter with filter wool and added seachem clarity (which clouded the water even more - so apparently its working). I am also running a canister filter to try to improve the water. Should I bother changing the water or just let the clarity and filters do the work? I've never used laterite before and after this, I dont think I will again!! what a pain...

2. Click Here!

3. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

I just recently went thought the same thing.
    If the water is curculating through some sort of filter , it will clear.

Put a cover over the tank and forget about it for 2 days then go back to it.

\Cheers

4. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

+1 on that!

Let the canister filter do its thing for a while. Your water will be crystal clear soon enough.

For future reference put a plate on the sand and slowly pour the water into the plate. This should keep the sand from being disturbed to a minimum.

5. Ellie

Ellie Plankton

thanks for the advice, I'll try my best to be patient.. although every time I walk past the tank I have to stop myself from tampering with things to try and fix it :)

I used a plate when filling the tank, but I guess I was a bit too rough and didn't pour the water very carefully.

In future, should I wash laterite until it is completely clean? Is that possible or will there always be some sediment?

P.S. Seachem clarity is good stuff, it hasn't been a miracle cure for the cloudy water but I think its helping it along nicely

6. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

wow that guppie sure is pretty

7. reefersRus

reefersRus Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

In future, should I wash laterite until it is completely clean? Is that possible or will there always be some sediment?
    [/quote]

I still use that stuff in my tanks. It is great but it will never be clear. It always has sediment. I rinsed it forever and it will still cloud the water if it is disturbed.

Your water will clear in a couple of days then change all the filter media and you are good to go.

8. Click Here!

9. Ellie

Ellie Plankton

i ended up going to the hardware store, gots some 5 micron filter inserts for a water purifyer system, cut them to size and put them into the internal filter. It has made a huge difference, the water is almost crystal clear. I think it probably would have settled on its own but its a lot of water and it would have taken a long time...way too long for my liking :)

At the moment the water is really clear, but has a greenish-tinge to it. Im almost certain it was the green aquarium salt I started using.

10. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

So after 2 1/2 weeks the water did not clear so you added the micron filters ? Thats odd..

So waht are your next steps ? What are the plans for the tank ?

I fear that the rush you were in to clear the water, you may rush and try and add the fish way too early.

Remember, "go slow, let it grow" I seem to remember hearing that around here somewhere...

Good luck

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Ever use a Diatom filter ?

12. Ellie

Ellie Plankton

Never used a diatom filter, have only read about them..

I’m planning to let the tank cycle as usual, it just got to the point where it had been 3 weeks and there was hardly any sign of the cloudiness getting better.

Call me impatient, but it was starting to get on my nerves… A few water changes and the addition of the filters got rid of the sediment and thats all I wanted.