arrgghhhh!! light fixture blew!

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by oldfishkeeper, Jul 13, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

It seems that each time we've gotten ready to go on vacation - a major problem happens with the tank. I don't know if it was from the covering (for painting) or what but went to turn on my lights and saw a fizzle and pop and smelled a burning smell - so needless to say - not going to chance it and purchased a new unit - of course to the tune of additional money that I hadn't planned on spending right before our trip to Hilton Head.

My return pump stopped working right before our trip in June. Man, this hobby sure can be expensive - I shouldn't have needed to replace these things so soon - about 2 1/2 years on the light and 2 years on the return pump. :( I didn't think I did either on the cheap - the pump was recommended early on by a 3reef member and the T5 was a medium priced unit with a fan and reflectors.

2. Click Here!

3. jbraslins

jbraslins Teardrop Maxima Clam

Sorry to hear that. I had motor on my return pump burn out on me 3 month into operation. I got that pump warrantied, and bought another one just to have a spare. Return pump is not something u want to wait on.

How long can corals survive without proper or any lighting? Several days?

4. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

aaahhh that sucks, and yes the hobby can indeed be a lost money pit... are you sure its not just the bulbs that popped?

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

T5 fixtures are pretty easy to fix.Its either the bulbs,switch,or ballast. I would keep it as a backup

DSC reef likes this.
  6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Was the RP a DC Jabeo?

Any pump can and will go out, inversely proportional to the ease of replacement and the conveniency of when it when out.- Murphy

I too have a back up for my DC12000. This one doesn't blink, but just in case.

Swisswiss likes this.
  7. oldfishkeeper

Thanks for the advice. It seems to have been perhaps the fan that blew?? I could still turn on the whites - the blues were going on and off before the "pop" - although after it popped, sparked, and smelled - I unplugged the unit and didn't want to mess with it. I sure hope the bulbs are still good (fingers crossed). I'll look into getting it fixed when we get back. I'm wondering if perhaps the moisture that was trapped under the blanket led to the problem? I should have probably waited a while for things to dry out before I tried turning on the lights (hindsight is always 20/20).

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

Todd, it was a waverunner RP that went out. It didn't completely quit but slowed to a very low output (I checked and rechecked that it wasn't blocked in some way). When I cleaned it and put everything back together, it would not turn on - low hum and then when it did - it made a very loud obnoxious noise (ceramic needle probably was bad) - did not have time when this all happened to order replacement parts so had to buy a new one - also purchased a back-up so this dilemma doesn't happen again :(

I thought things were supposed to last longer than 2 years!! especially since I didn't go cheap just for that reason.