Arguement over t5s and clams

Discussion in 'Clams' started by jay02483, Apr 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jay02483

jay02483 Bristle Worm

ive had this crocea for along time many many months and its the age old argument t5s or no t5s. i have it under a 4x39w 460acitinics and 10k, in a 29gal about 8inches from lights and it seems to be doing fine

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Looks really good to me! I'm guessing on a 29" deep tank, t5's might not reach the bottom enough to support a clam though...

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i would say if its doing good leave it alone, i think you would be in trouble if it was at the bottom of your tank but its not

5. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

A buddy of mine has T5's over a 29 gallon with a Crocea in it and it's doing just great. I believe you can keep clams with T5's. Alot of people just don't like T5's because they are die hard haliders. Personally, I've never had MH's before. I love our T5 fixture, and the friend of mine has had his tank up and running for 2.5 years now under T5s.

We even have an acro growing under our T5s.

When/if I have a bigger tank, I will probably have an MH and T5 combo fixture, but for now either has their pros and cons, and both can support clams.

6. jay02483

jay02483 Bristle Worm

i have a derasa on the sand bed and its seems to be doing fine to me, give me ur opinion...

Attached Files:

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

T5 with proper bulbs will keep clams just fine now P/C's are another story and it can take many many months for a clam to implode and just be dead over night from lack of light . So just saying many many months really is not saying you are sucusseful . But again with T5 I see not issue unlike with P/C's I have seen and heard that argument many times and after a yr or so most with clams under P/c's lost the argument .

8. Click Here!

9. kyrie_eleison

kyrie_eleison Astrea Snail

Tangster,

I'm not offended by your "position" on this issue but I disagree with you. Also, Jay02483 is right. I myself have had 2 croceas kept under PC lights for a long time (at least 3 years) before I decided to go T-5's and eventually MHs. I traded one away and the other I still have but I have to place him on a lower rock closer to the substrate. That's not all either. I have a derasa that I originally started out on PC lights and I've had him for even longer. He too is still with me at 4 years old.

10. ollie51

ollie51 Feather Duster

like tangster said it takes a long time for a clam to die i had a couple die under pc after a long period of time 6-7 months not fun to drop 50-75 on a clam to watch it turn into a empty shell i now run 2/250 hqi and have not had any problem w/anything i just think its a gamble to put a clam under anything else , but some have success . best of luck to you

11. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Interesting thread... I just bought a Crocea clam and it's on the sandbed of my 210 that's 29" high. I understand that if you put it on a rock it will imbed itself to the rock. That's not a big problem as I can just get a rock that works for it. What am I to look for as it goes bad? Does it's mantle not come out? First clam I've owned.

Attached Files:

12. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Well, I gotta say I am with Tangster. For two reasons. First, I learned a long time ago not to argue with him. Too many years of academic and didactic experience to even try. And he has never steered me wrong.

The second reason is that there is always an exception to the rule. Take my condy anemone. I got that thing when my tank was still cycling and kept it under PCs for the better part of a year before it found it's way to a powerhead. Ewwwww. Honestly, if I knew then what I know now, I never would have purchased it, well, until now; when I had T5s and a mature tank.

Last edited: May 16, 2009