are they asian arowana farms in the US

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by sostoudt, Feb 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

does anyone know if there are asain arowana farms in the US?
    so far i have only found ones in singapore. is Im starting to wonder if its even possible to get the permits for breeding in the US. the Cites* people are almost impossible to get a hold of. any information would help

*for those that don't know cites is a international group that regulates endangered or threatened species,in all countries that agree to it, knowledge is power!

2. Click Here!

3. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

if you are talking about the red asian arowannas than i dont think you can obtain one in the USA ( at least not legally)

I could be wrong but all the information that i have gathered on them points to that conclusion. Let me know if you find otherwise cause i know of a few people that are interested.

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

yea nm you can only get a permit if its for scientific research on the animal.
    i thought it was a class 2 not a class 1.
    it seems 1990-1995 you could get a permit for ranching the fish.

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

wait update !!!! I FOUND A LOOP HOLE

Yes. However, if a commercial breeder of a CITES Appendix-I species fulfils certain conditions and is registered with the CITES Secretariat, specimens from the breeding operation may be treated as if they are of Appendix-II species, meaning that they can be traded commercially (permit requirement is not waived). If the animals were not bred for commercial purposes they may be traded simply with a certificate of captive breeding.

MEANING THEY ARE LEGAL IF YOU GET THEM FROM A CITES REGISTERED BREEDER.
    permit still required

here is the link to the page with this info Frequently Asked Questions about CITES

here is a link to a cities registered ranch in singapore Dragon Fish Industry

heres a video to celebrate the finding, showing just what weve gained

i couldnt pick just one sorry

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

just thought i would give this a bump. because it goes against the common opinion on the web that they are illegal to get in the states.

7. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

I was pretty sure they were banned from import to the US because of the fear of them being released live into a local ecosystem and we'd end up with another snakehead fish epidemic

8. Click Here!

9. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

that may be true for some states but they were banned, because of the loss of wild population. but no there are very many farms that focus on pumping them out due to the value of the fish. the very fact that there are cites certified farms proves the can be obtained legally with a permit, by anyone

11. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

sadly upon going through some of the paper work, i discovered i was wrongs as this fish is registered in the Endangered species act which has no provision for pets breed in captivity. im still researching this tho, hopefully there may be addition to the esa that allows captive bred species from captive bred parents to be sold like cities.

damn america.

edit: currently i will try to contact the division of the scientific authority and attempt to get them to downgrade the animal from endangered on the esa, as its redundant to have it both on cities and the esa, the esa actually hurts the animal population by not supporting a captive breeding effort like cities

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  12. Pip Logan

Pip Logan Feather Duster