Are these readings for my SW tank good?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by ScubaBrett22, Apr 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

UV sterilizer won't do much as far as waste removal goes. If you're having algae problems it may help with that (but so would getting your nitrates down).

2. Click Here!

3. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

those help, but you still have to water changes at least every two weeks, once you get your water parms in check. smaller tanks = more water changes..

4. ScubaBrett22

ScubaBrett22 Fire Shrimp

YaY more work.... i need to get a dam job... pay someone to do this... i have like no time... *sigh*

5. ScubaBrett22

ScubaBrett22 Fire Shrimp

I am going to lose all my birthday money i was going to use for gas on my tank hora.... :-/

6. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

lol welcome to reefkeeping my friend.

7. ScubaBrett22

ScubaBrett22 Fire Shrimp

Wait i got it!!!!

WAIT!!! i just noticed why my nitrates are so high!!!

I had to recover a dead starfish, emerald crab and i stirred up the sediment and some sand.... that's why the nitrates might be so high...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  8. Click Here!

9. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

maybe didnt help, but to be that high, they were already 100+ppm.. no good. dont fool yourself, follow our game plan.. clean those bioballs and do some WC..

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  10. ScubaBrett22

ScubaBrett22 Fire Shrimp

ya i am still going to do that and i am getting the Protein skimmer and UV all in all i am trying to make my tank look Fiji Clear ;D going to take a while though!

11. ScubaBrett22

ScubaBrett22 Fire Shrimp

This is what it looks like in the rear and would that piece of Filter floss effect the levels?

Attached Files:

12. Kelley11

Kelley11 Peppermint Shrimp

If that is a 29 Biocube, I would ditch the bioballs and purchase a CPR SR3 skimmer, it will greatly outperform the Biocube version. I would hold off on the UV if money is an issue and get the better skimmer. Make sure in chamber 3 (where return pump is located) clean that blue sponge, it can hold a lot of crap.

I guess what I would do:

50% WC as soon as possible, then (2) days later I would do another one.
    Add the skimmer
    Begin doing 20% WC each week until water conditions are back to normal.

**If you have a 14 gallon BC you may want to get rid of the bioballs and create a refuge in that 2nd chamber. That could work almost as good as a protein skimmer and might be the cheapest solution. I would add the Biocube protein skimmer as well (not much else will fit without major mods to the hood.

Good luck, I am surprized anything is still alive after 11 months of no water changes and your conditions. Unfortunately, looks like your bday money will need to go to tank if you want to continue with hobby :(