Are sand from dunes reef safe?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by krakaslap, Nov 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. krakaslap

krakaslap Plankton

i was thinking about getting some sand from the st anthony sand dunes in eastern idaho and was wondering what type of sand it is and would it be reef safe? like would it eventually become live sand and do pretty much everything live sand does?

2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

What kind of sand is it? Silica? Aragonite? We're talking chemical composition here, and without that information, you're not gonna get a good answer. We also need to know grain size.

4. krakaslap

krakaslap Plankton

i have no idea what type of sand it is or where it came from but theres TONS and TONS of it, i did multiple google searches with no luck yet. The grain is super super fine

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Well, the composition is what really matters. Super fine is well used in reefs; I was just making sure it wasn't too coarse.

6. krakaslap

krakaslap Plankton

just found out its white quartz sand heres the link to the dunes so you know exactly which sand dunes i am talking about
    St. Anthony Sand Dune Guide

7. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

i always thought it was illegal to mess with dunes....atleast it is on the EC

8. Click Here!

9. CrazyA

CrazyA Feather Duster

watch out for the 2-stroker oils that may have settled on that sand over the years, or at least where you plan to collect..

10. 4phish

4phish Montipora Digitata

I would have to say no. It would be too much of a risk. Just my 2cents.

11. krakaslap

krakaslap Plankton

is it worth trying per se in a spare tank with no livestock and test everything on it? does it have to be aragonite to grow the bacteria efficiently?

12. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

you can use whatever you want, though people speculate silicas (like quartz) promote long term algae growth and I personally agree. Then you have the chance of heavy metal contaminates that would kill invertebrates which is somewhat common for quartz deposits. I wouldn't try it.