Are pods eating my zoas?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by nanomania, Jun 3, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

hmmm yes...cus adding one mandarin is terrible idea so adding a pair must be a good one?.......

2. Click Here!

3. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

Ok guys.. wont get a mandarin.. what fish u suggest adding then? Im afraid to add wrasses as they are terribly agressive.. im 100% sure its some pods killing my zoa.. same type of zoa is doing absolutely fine at the back, as posted a similar issue, they are going after 1 colony to another... im sure its a very rare thing, thats why not many have encountered this problem. My parameters are all good, infact half dead britle star has recovered completely, 80% bleached gbta has recovered 60%.

My question is how can the same zoa in the same tank do better just kept in a different location? Its not the light issue too..

Fortunately these are cheap zoas, but was going to buy the imported ones next week. Now wont be able to..

4. nanomania

Also check out my utube channel "nanoaquamania".. im not new to this hobby, its been 10yrs... some times its bad luck i guess..

5. Swisswiss

it could well be lighting intensity issue then. nothing is impossible but i highly doubt the "pods" are eating live zoas. zoas have a pretty bad ass defence system, so as mentioned the pods are probably just "cleaning up"......

6. Swisswiss

also, and evolve will hopefully chim in on this, if you fear aggression by wrasse why not add it as a last fish? its true that certain wrasses tend to be very protective of thier territory, this is an issue if you add it as a first fish as it will take the majority of the space available as its own..... however if you add it last it will have to "settle" for what ever territory isnt occupied by other species..... keep in mind territorial disputes are acentuated in smaller systems where fish dont really have a chance to "get away"

7. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I'll say again, please post your water parameters. Your pods aren't killing your zoa's!!!

I recall you have a DIY 40w 15000k led fixture, yes? I also think lighting isn't efficient for the zoa's let alone the GBTA you have (that's another story and thread topic).

DSC reef likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. nanomania

Well my palythoas started bleaching, before in didnt understand why.. as usual i though water parameters.. it was on the rock, on the middle level.. then i placed it on the sand, and everything started getting better... if u see my tank build thread, there is a photo of it, placed on the stone, then at the bottom and now its looking fantastic.. that too was 40% white.. water parameters are:

Ph8
    Alk 7
    Ammo 0
    No3 15
    Mag 1250
    Cal 350

10. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Probably alkalinity and poor lighting are kill off your zoa's.

DSC reef likes this.
  11. Swisswiss

ya alk is a little low, a quality salt will boost that up for you

12. nanomania

I use seachem reef builder in ato.. will add more.