Are my SPS Happy?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by crustytheclown, Mar 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

Thanks Corailline. BTW what type of zoa is that in your pic?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Well they were Orange Lunar Eclipse, before I started playing with a photoshop link that Matt provided for the up coming photography contest. So that is not the true coloration by a long shot, just messing around. :)

4. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

i can grow sps at the bottom of my tank under T5's...and my tank is 30" deep so no worries if you are using quality bulbs :)

5. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

that is so funny cuz i was going to ask u the same question on my post when you said i needed more zoanthids! lol I was gonna say I would pay you to ship me whatever is in ur profile pic! ;)

1 person likes this.
  6. crustytheclown

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They seem happy to me. the third one is not as colorful as the first two. When i bought them they must of been under LED's cause they looked a bit more radiant. But i havent noticed a change in color since adding them to my tank and its been a couple weeks. I am just a little unsure of where to finally place them in my tank. I think im just going to use a little epoxy ( just to hold them in place) that way i can easily move them if needed. I think im going to look for places with the correct flow, more so that how high up on the reef the spot is. With the replies i got in this thread i am sure that anywhere in my tank will have sufficient lighting but maybe not sufficient flow. I have a MP10 set to 100% speed on reef crest mode. This is a picture of my tank and how my water is moving.
    [​IMG]
    so the water really flows up the bigger rock structure on the left, than hits the wall/overflow and causes some really random flow.
    [​IMG]
    I have a few Monti Caps on the back side of my reef that you can see in this picture, and they are doing great but im thinking the acros should be placed on the front side of the reef where there is more random flow. What do you guys think? Where would you place the acro frags?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  7. Corailline

Love the black sand. That is going to be a really nice tank once it grows in. The acropora certainly look happy to me

8. Click Here!

9. crustytheclown

how much space should you leave between sps frags?

10. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

As close as you want, honestly. The only thing spacing will limit is how big the colonies can grow. If they get close to each other, simply frag off those branches...

Some SPS will tolerate each other even when touching. However, usually one starts to outgrow the other.

Personally, I recommend no closer than 4", but 6" is probably a better min.

11. xjaydub20x

xjaydub20x Feather Duster

Hey Corailline, do you use Rod's Original Blend? Also, what kind of pellets do you use? Could you tell us more about your feeding routine (do you feed at night or after you trigger a feeding response from your corals, etc)?

12. Corailline

I use Rod's Foods Herbivore blend ( about cube size), and Dainichi marine pellets with cyclopeeze (crushed) and mixed together
    Once every 3 to 4 days. I introduce a small amount to the tank with power heads on. Wait about 30-40 minutes until I start to see a feeding response and add more and just keep repeating until all is gone. Usually takes about an hour and the corals usually feed for a couple hours or more.
    I now leave the power heads on the whole time.

As far as placement, I did underestimate distance. Six inches seems about right. They grow a lot faster then you think they are going to, and then your stuck with fragging, or a space problem.